Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

Can you share where these target projections are found? Waiting on Aerospace Engineering waitlist.

@Sophomore270: here is the link for the target projections for the last few years.

https://ir.calpoly.edu/content/publications_reports/targets/index

Hm that’s interesting. Anyone on the waitlist not receive the info about the open house?

On waitlist and did receive it. But we also got a “special” UCLA scholarship email and got rejected there so… not sure how much the CPSLO open house email means.

@Indecisive944 my son is still waitlisted and didn’t get the open house email. I reached out to Traci and found out it didn’t go out to everyone… when you click to register, on the CP page, it will give you a drop down arrow admitted, waitlisted or interested.

@greenheart ok thank you! Wonder if it was random or means anything.

I am with Saavydog on this. Probably means nothing special, just like the UCLA alumni scholarship email. You can really torture yourself by overthinking it. Only one thing means you are in: an email saying you’re in.

The task forces are facing reality…UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep Khosla said Thursday that the school might stick with online courses for the fall quarter due to the coronavirus, but that he doesn’t see it becoming a permanent arrangement.

The California State University system is weighing the same option for its schools.

Certainly appears to be heading in that direction. Here’s UC’s President Janet Napolitano on the topic:
https://youtu.be/5LE8VYYzUKs?t=2135

Curious how current SLO students have transitioned to the online platform considering the ‘learn by doing’ approach seems less possible for 2020-2021.

This would work really well for the international students (who have concerns about getting in to the US by fall 2020)…but not so well for in state and OOS students.

My daughter is a sophomore and finishing her CP year online at home. It works fine - that is, it is organized and manageable - but she is very sad to be missing her college experience. And there are just some aspects of classes that cannot be taught online, like working with actual clients to create an advertising campaign or broadcasting news from the studio. It’s all very sad for current college students and high school seniors especially.

My kid, accepted to Aerospace engineering, will probably decline (will go elsewhere). So, someone out there, in Aerospace, may have a chance, if there are two or three more kids like that (assuming yield of 30%)

The sooner your kid can decline, the better it will be for one of the kids on the waitlist.

Has anyone heard yet about honors program acceptance? They indicated mid-April decision timeframe. BTW - don’t read too much into not getting a virtual open house invite - my admitted daughter didn’t get one, but I got one as a parent. Assuming e-mail issues…

I watched the Cal Poly SLO Open House for Engineering today. I was surprised that the dean said that only 50% of Cal Poly undergrad students graduate in 4-years and that 80% graduate in six-years. It seems like that is much longer than other universities. Why does it take so long to graduate from Cal Poly?

I enjoyed Cal Poly so much that it took me eight years to graduate.

Dean Amy Fleischer said that? I did not listen in but I will ask her about that as I was on a zoom conference call w her on Wednesday and she said that the reason why more slots are open for FTF this year is because more students are graduating on time. . . hmmmmm but the Mechanical Engineering Dean was worried about thru put of the students. . . Which says otherwise. . .

@Caliken , asked:
I watched the Cal Poly SLO Open House for Engineering today. I was surprised that the dean said that only 50% of Cal Poly undergrad students graduate in 4-years and that 80% graduate in six-years. It seems like that is much longer than other universities. Why does it take so long to graduate from Cal Poly?

Why 4/6-year grad rates at SLO so low (and Cal states in general)? My take:

1. Cal States are both underfunded and inefficient with resources (double-whammy!), so they don’t meet the changing demand of classes/seats needed very well. Students can’t always get the next class in their sequence. Strangely, some prerequisite courses are only offered certain terms - I've never understood that logic. The exact opposite of customer service oriented.
  2. Cal States are relatively inexpensive for in-state students and taking an extra term or two in the sunshine and low responsibility of youth isn’t prohibitively expensive for some to enjoy it a little more before entering the real world. Young once, life is short… going to work for 40 years… why not enjoy another term?

And, I think Cal Poly SLO grad rates are the best in the 23 Cal State system, so there’s that.

@Caliken:
Graduation rates for Cal States link below. Also SLO has a high percentage of Engineering students in comparison to other CSU campuses which have to take a high number of units to complete their degree. SLO is still has the highest graduation rate.

https://edsource.org/2019/california-state-university-graduation-rates-show-uneven-progress-some-backsliding/608158

@Gumbymom Thank you for this source. Looking back at the conversation, she only said the students are graduating faster. Here I am thinking, wow, less than 4 years for a BS, when in reality, she is thinking, "Yes, now instead of 6 years, the students are down to 5 years 1 quarter - just as an example. So I guess that is an improvement. Thank you again!