Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

They mark serious intent to enroll if you send them an email (coming from someone who sent an email and got a response)

Please explain what that means.

@JaneTsDad I sent them an email asking about specifics of the waitlist and after answering some of my personal questions, they stated they were marking “serious intent to enroll” on my application. After that, they said that they can’t guarantee space to open up (despite them wanting to accept me [their words, not mine]).

They also stated that waitlist students are not ranked, but according to this source, they are. Not entirely sure what leverage “serious intent” gives a student, but here’s the info:

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/CDS_2019-2020%20Final%203.pdf

This is from the 2019-2020 school year from a link on the cal poly website.

Hope you don’t mind me asking, but did you email the admissions office or somewhere/someone else about the “serious intent to enroll” for waitlisted student? SLO is my top choice so I want to do everything possible :slight_smile:

https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/waitlist

https://mustangnews.net/why-letters-of-recommendation-wont-help-in-cal-polys-admissions-office/

@emilyeverton

I don’t mind at all! I emailed the regular admissions team email and got a response about two weeks later. All I did was ask if I could take any further steps (while acknowledging that I read the waitlist FAQ), showed some interest, and they responded with the “serious intent” thing. SLO is one of my top choices as well!! Best of luck!!

@bethiew
Thank you so much for all the helpful information. Best of luck to you, as well. I hope to be seeing you at SLO in fall :slight_smile:

@emilyeverton hi! Can I ask how long ago you did that and for what major?:slight_smile:

@Indecisive944
Hey! I sent them an email last night. Don’t know if it’s too late as the deadline to commit is today and they may already be considering people for admission from the waitlist, but figured it was worth a try. I’m an environmental management and protection major and have not received a reply yet (probably won’t for a while). Hope this helps you, good luck :slight_smile:

Cal Poly doesn’t consider any email in their acceptance decisions.

So, is it just me that looks at page 7, where it says they are ranked, and see the numbers that say they placed 4976 students on the waitlist but only admitted 67 off the waitlist and now thinks, even with the unusual circumstances this year, there is possibly no chance my son will get of the waitlist for CE?

How many they accept varies completely per year, so don’t lose hope! There’s always some sort of chance. The amount of people who accepted their enrollment offer last year has no impact on how many do this year

Thank you - I am holding out hope, as I was honestly surprised he didn’t get accepted initially but I know it is extremely competitive! Just comparing to the previous numbers posted in the Cal waitlist forum - this number seems tiny compared to theirs, and I am thinking he may have a better chance there after all, even though Cal Poly is his #1 choice.

@hopefulmom1, I feel the same way. From the CDS for 2019, about 1% of those on waitlist were admitted. Pretty sad. But in 2018, about 36% on waitlist were admitted. Much better! My guess is this year the number will be between those two. I think many out of state admits will decline the SLO admit for covid-distance reasons, but that may be offset by Californian’s declining to go out of state as well and attending CP SLO.

2018 CDS source: https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/CDS_2018-2019%20%281%29%20Final%20Posted%205.21.19%20Ref.%20Sec.H1.2_2.pdf

GUYS, I HAVE SOMETHING URGENT! SO ON MY PORTAL, UNDER MY APPLICATION STATUS, IT JUST SAYS “Congratulations, you have been selected for admission to Cal Poly!” BUT ON OTHER PEOPLE’S APPLICATION IT SAYS “YOU ARE CLEARED T ENROLL AT CAL POLY…” I WANT TO GO TO CAL POLY SLO BUT IM AFRAID THAT I DID NOT ACCEPT THE OFFER. IS IT BECAUSE I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST EARLY(IN APRIL)?

@flurryhear
When you got your acceptance, do you remember accepting the offer? Do you have a confirmation email? Double check these things. If you still don’t get the answer you’re looking for, contact admissions ASAP

@bethiew yes I got the confirmation email. I even signed up for orientation and housing but it just said congrats and I asked all my friends today and they had something different

Did you pay the fee with your intent to enroll?

“If you still don’t get the answer you’re looking for, contact admissions ASAP”

How would you contact admissions at 9:30 PM on a Friday, the last day to accept an acceptance?

There’s a fee to enroll? I heard from past students that there wasn’t one. Only a housing deposit