Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I don’t know. The whole process sucks, TBH. But I don’t know why the Calpoly waitlist video says that the waitlist is not ranked but the graph has the box checked. I hope they did away with that. But thanks to anyone vacating their spot at SLO if they aren’t going to go, because my daughter was waitlisted and it’s her dream school. Thanks!

5 Likes

Thank you for the post. I totally hear you. My sister went to U of A and she was a huge partier. Luckily, my daughter is not. But I don’t think we are considering it anymore, anyway, because my daughter expressed she does not want to live in AZ (fair skin and the HEAT of the summer, haha) - her top choices are UCSD and Calpoly SLO and she was waitlisted at both, so we aren’t sure yet where she is going to attend. Thanks for the tips!

My D still do not have decision from SLO!

Seems strange. It doesn’t give any indication under Status Update?

The profile for accepted students has been updated to Fall 2021.

3 Likes

Looks like they updated the enrollment projections by department as well.

3 Likes

What does TFT and NTR stand for?

First-Time Freshmen (FTF)
New Transfers (NTR)

1 Like

Is there any school that puts you on the waitlist and then only gives you the option to opt out other than Cal Poly?

I’m not sure, but does anyone know if CalPoly calls to offer a spot off the waitlist or do they offer a spot in the portal?

Cal Poly will notify waitlisted applicants in the portal and then send out an email later.

2 Likes

Anyone know when CalPoly starts accepting kids off their waitlist? We live in Albuquerque, NM and visited CalPoly last week for the first time. It’s my son’s top choice but we realize the WL is a long shot. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Admitting off the waitlist depends upon how many students enroll by May I the SIR deadline. If SLO sees more students declining admission prior to May 1, they will start pulling off the waitlist.

1 Like

Thanks! Seems like CalPoly’s waitlist numbers have been highly variable based on the last few years.

2 Likes

I started to subscribe to the local SLO newspaper, The Tribune. Although, everyone in the SLO Class of 2025 will have graduated, since completion will be in 2025 (or later), the County is moving forward with building a 4.5 mile bike path from the downtown area to Avila Beach.

“Bob Jones bike trail gets $18 million to link SLO to the beach. Here’s what is in store”

[quote]"San Luis Obispo County can finally move forward with planned construction of a 4.5-mile leg of the Bob Jones City-to-Sea Bike Trail, thanks to a substantial grant from the state.

The funding clears the way to connect the popular trail’s Avila Beach parking hub to the Octagon Barn staging area in San Luis Obispo."[/quote]

2 Likes

I know that cal poly’s yield is about 33% so they typically accept 3 times as many students that they want. But I’m wondering how they decide how many students to the waitlist.

If it is like other universities then it is a huge number, in the thousands, and it is not related to how many spots they think may open up. Instead it is a huge pool of qualified applicants, and who they pick from this pool depends on who declined to enroll.

1 Like

I looked at the last years’ profile page using wayback machine

Overall acceptance went from 38.44% last year to 30.83% this year
CAFES acceptance rate went down by 5%
CAED down 11%
CENG down 5% (and their gpa range went from 4.04-4.27 to 4.12-4.25 big jump)
CLA down 6%
CSM down 7%
OCOB down the most at 16%

Also interesting that the top range of all the gpa ranges is 4.25, maybe that is the top gpa for the MCA score now.

3 Likes

FYI from today’s Tribune:

[quote]”For first-time freshmen applying to Cal Poly’s 64 majors, the most difficult major to get into based on sheer number of applicants vs. space available was not engineering or architecture.

It was psychology. The university received 3,222 applications but has space for just 66 students — or just 2% of the hopeful applicants.

That is followed by computer science, biological sciences, kinesiology, marine sciences and aerospace engineering, all of which have space for just 4% of the total applicants.

Business administration is the most popular major at Cal Poly for applicants, with 8,733 applicants. There are 719 spaces available in that major.”

There’s a paywall:
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/article250275915.html#storylink=cpy

5 Likes

So with at around a 33% yield, that would make it a 6% acceptance rate for psychology. Are they known for their Psych dept?