Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I guess we Californian are all very much on the same boat with our kids. UCs and CSUs are becoming highly competitive even with impressive stats. No wonder so many are going OOS. Whatever the case, try to pick a school that will give them the best chance at finding a job after graduation (job market, internships). We are going to end up doing a pros and cons check list come March. Good luck everybody!

4 Likes

Do you have data on the typical CENG yield? I’m curious how many offers are extended to get to the class size, especially for engineering where the % of spots to applications is under 5%. I have another kid whose test scores would have put him well into the historical MCA range for his major. Thank you.

I have nothing, sorry. I’ll defer to @Gumbymom.

Based on 2020 projections they expected a target of 1270 enrolled Freshman for CENG. They received 17,531 Applicants and accepted 31.01% or 5436 admits so you can figure out the approximate yield.

The 1270 number is throwing me off can you elaborate on this? I’d assume the freshman class at CP is 4500 ish correct?

The 1270 is just Engineering. 4950 total.

This doc shows the yield for the different departments for 2020. 23% for Engineering, 24% overall.

I would guess that the yield differs quite a bit with each individual major within ENG also - since the CS, aero, mech, etc. stats are so high, those students are likely are getting into other prestigious universities. Looking back, the yield also varies quite a bit each year. It’s still not the full picture but it’s nice that Cal Poly gives so much data for those of us that like seeing all the numbers. I don’t envy those who have to predict the yield when planning admissions!

1 Like

That makes sense…thank you.

Has Cal Poly been test optional in other years? They didn’t mention test score ranges in the admitted student profile. Kudos to them for being transparent. A lot of colleges aren’t.

1 Like

Cal Poly SLO has not been test blind or optional until this admission cycle.

1 Like

When will decisions for slo and pomona be coming out?

Does anyone know yet if Cal Poly SLO is remaining test blind for the 2026 applicants?

CPP rolling probably starting this week or next. SLO rolling starting the first week of March.

All CSUs will be test blind next year too

2 Likes

I saw that all the CSU’s will remain test blind for the 2022 admission cycle.

1. The California State University (CSU) will continue to temporarily suspend the use of ACT/SAT examinations in determining admission eligibility for all CSU campuses for the 2022-2023 academic year. This temporary change of admission eligibility applies for the following terms: Fall 2021, Winter 2022, Spring 2022, Fall 2022, Winter 2023 and Spring 2023 admission cycles. First-time freshmen must meet the following eligibility requirements: be a high school graduate or equivalent; complete the 15-unit comprehensive “a-g” pattern of college preparatory course; and earn a qualifying “a-g” grade point average (GPA) as described below.
  • California residents and graduates of California high schools will be eligible for admission by earning a 2.50 or greater “a-g” GPA.
  • Any California high school graduate or resident of California earning a GPA between 2.00 and 2.49 may be evaluated for admission based upon supplemental factors such as number of courses exceeding minimum “a-g” requirements, household income, extracurricular involvement, and other available information that would inform the campus admission decision. Each CSU campus will determine the supplemental factors used with GPA to determine eligibility in these cases and communicate these criteria publicly for prospective students.
  • Non-California residents may be eligible for admission to the CSU by earning a 3.00 or greater “a-g” GPA along with other supplemental factors utilized by the individual campus, including those outlined by impacted campuses and programs.
  1. This temporary change of admission requirements will also apply to impacted CSU campuses and programs. Campuses and programs designated as impacted may utilize higher “a-g” GPA thresholds for applicants, as well as identify supplemental criteria and their relative weights, in making admission decisions. However, in no case will standardized test scores be utilized in making admissions decisions for applicants during the 2021-2022 academic year.
2 Likes

My son is an International applicant and we heard back mid Jan. Accepted for CS.

Our kiddos have similar stats and APs. S21 will remind me that he worked so hard and I was so strict on him keeping his practice schedule but his 36 ACT useless in public CA colleges. I will always have that held over my head as we both roll our eyes. I honestly and naively thought SLO would be a safety when we started in Sept (LOL, I know). His major is bio so I can’t even imagine the competitiveness of CS.

Now I’m regretting agreeing to have him skip UC Riverside.

3 Likes

Similar here too. Twins with 4.0/4.3 and 3.9/4.28 GPAs and useless 34 and 35 ACTs. So depressing. Luckily they are liberal arts majors so they may fare a bit better.

1 Like

I also have twins, 3.97 and 4.0 with no test scores, but they do have work experience in their major (Dairy Science) but I have no idea if they are competitive for their major! This year feels like a crap shoot. They have several acceptances out of state but are crossing fingers and toes to get into the Ag Department at SLO…who knows!!?

3 Likes

Check out the 27th post in the thread above. I think your kids are competitive for Dairy Science. Good Luck!

Thank you, this give me a little hope!

1 Like