Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Anyone heard from Cal Poly SLO in Liberal studies (multi subject education.) I haven’t seen any acceptance for liberal studies yet???

Has anyone gotten rejected from Cal Poly SLO???. Thinking if we haven’t heard we are the rejected group.

2 Likes

Posts 302 and 735 on this thread look like they are liberal studies. Also posts 81 and 95 on the cal poly stats thread. I’m not sure if they are multi subject education. I hope this helps. Don’t assume it’s bad news yet and try to enjoy your weekend.

I think you’re right

I haven’t heard of anyone being rejected yet. Last year’s rejections came out around 3/27. We haven’t received an answer either. :pensive:

What is your daughters stats? Does she ant to be a multi subject teacher?

My son still hasn’t heard anything from SLO in Biomed Engineering. He has a 4.29 CSU GPA, rigorous course load, and tons of ECs. I’m baffled by the silence - not sure if it’s a rejection or what. I’m really unimpressed with how SLO rolls out decisions. Regardless, he was accepted to UCI yesterday in Biomed Engineering, so he’ll choose that or another UC (depending on the remaining UC decisions) even if he eventually gets into SLO.

2 Likes

Agreed. My daughter (ME) had CSU GPA of 4.6, capped at 4.2. Rigorous load 6 APs and waitlisted. The way they roll out is cruel for these kids who have been through enough. Unimpressed with SLO and this type of rollout. Rip the bandaid. Someone got into Stanford and waitlisted here. Makes no sense.

4 Likes

I thought it odd they were already waitlisting kids and it was noted that an AO stated that they weren’t done going through the applications. Makes me wonder if there are some sort of percentage caps.

Something strange is going on at SLO. My daughter has not heard back either. The valedictorian at her school got waitlisted as well as a few other students in the top 10. My daughter’s GPA is 4.74 W, 4.36 CSU GPA. It seems likely that a rejection is in her future, but as you said if they are going to reject these high achieving students, just do it already. Don’t make them wait weeks for this. We are looking forward to some UC decisions coming out this week…this is nonsense.

8 Likes

It could be yield protection. What major did your daughter apply for?

political science

Political Science is a tough one. Low acceptance rate.

IMHO CalPoly doesn’t yield protect. Don’t forget capped Calpoly gpa is 4.19 so regardless if your gpa is higher, Calpoly only sees 4.19. And unless you compare apps side by side, you have no idea what other boxes were checked and/or how many hours were put down. Also rigor of schedule matters and not all AP courses are viewed the same. So lots of other variables besides gpa.

I have a freshman and a fifth year in the 4+1 masters program at Calpoly so I’ve been following admissions for a few years. And every year, Calpoly admissions have been pretty consistent and so have the comments here :grin:

3 Likes

The valedictorian at my school literally did the full IB diploma and got straight A’s while doing so, so I’m going to go ahead and assume they do in fact yield protect. As for myself (daughter of jcortes) I have taken every AP and most IB courses available to me and gotten all A’s while doing so. How can you explain someone with less than a 4.0 weighted getting in over someone with a 4.8 if not with yield protection? Maybe I am missing something. It’s hard to talk about yield protection without seeming like I’m trying to degrade people with lower stats as that is truly not the case and I am happy they got accepted :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I understand your thinking. But someone with a 4.0 weighted could have both parents not finish high school, a job related to major and many hours of ECs, etc., giving them a big boost. Like I said, a 4.8 is only 4.19 in Calpoly’s eyes. Also don’t forget, you’re only “competing” with the people in your selected major

2 Likes

Do you think that there are more acceptances to come out at this time?

If SLO caps the GPA at 4.19/4.2, how come the freshman admit ranges listed for 2020 admits have the GPA overall campus listed up to 4.25 and for specific Colleges such as Engineering where it goes up to 4.27? They may have capped it back in 2013 when the original MCA calculation information was first posted, but I do not think they have the 4.2 GPA cap anymore.

1 Like

Just based on recent past history, I don’t think so but hopefully I’m wrong.

There was a thread here not too long ago, about “Is a 4.0 a 4.0?” I’m not casting any aspersions about anyone’s HS, but maybe SLO has adjustments built into their algorithm when evaluating candidate’s GPA’s. They’re not always created equally. Or maybe they don’t. I don’t know. But the subject of grade inflation is popular here on CC.

4 Likes