Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

If you didn’t have the out-of-staters paying an extra $18,000 a year, it would have been higher!

2 Likes

@apalmer I was referring to @57special 's complaint about Minnesota giving OOS student more merit aid than in-state. It is very common for public universities to do that. I didn’t mean Cal Poly.

2 Likes

I am not aware of any California(and many other states I can mention) Public School that gives more merit aid to OOS’ers than in-state.

I’m not non-CA unfriendly, I just would like decisions made all at once.

7 Likes

Maybe not, since the State of California has a very large budget surplus and seems to be lowering the OOS student enrollment caps.

Interesting! Those kids are California kids, too, so maybe we hear this weekend. :crossed_fingers:t2: I know I checked my older son’s portal in 2017 on a Friday but he could have been accepted a day earlier for all I know. He was my first so I wasn’t as on top of the CSU rollout process then.

2 Likes

Since you are 99% sure your daughter will get in, I am curious what her major and GPA is? My daughter’s major is Business and I saw applicants with a 4.3 get rejected for Business last year. Hoping for a miracle, but realize it’s unlikely with a 4.15. She has some nice private school options lined up, but as a Cal Poly alum, I would be thrilled if she got in.

3 Likes

False alarm on the BRAE Facebook post. I googled the girl, Reagan, and she deferred her admittance from last year. PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions The FFA state officers work full time in the state office for a year.

3 Likes

@57special - University of Arizona does, as does University of Pittsburgh. I suspect there are others as well.

I believe it is a common practice to help offset the considerably higher OOS tuition and entice high-performing students to campus. A case can be made that this, in turn, enhances the academic experience for the rest of the student body. Of course, one also has to balance that with the fact that the taxes of the in-state families in large part funding the state school systems, which I think is possibly part of your concern with this approach.

Even with an extra $8K in merit money for a comparably qualified OOS student vs in-state, the OOS student at the University of Minnesota will still pay $10K more for tuition than the in-state student.

Many do. For example, for students with a 4.0, University of Arizona gives $12,500 to Arizona residents and $35,000 to OOS. There is a chart on their website.

2 Likes

My daughter got notified of acceptance on a Friday in 2017 as well…OOS rolled out in the day previous. She did not have a high GPA and applied to Liberal Studies. She ended up going to a Private College in Southern Cali and is about to complete her MA with a Double major in less than 5 years…straight A’s. did better in college than High school!

7 Likes

I have never heard of anyone getting anywhere near a $30K scholarship for Cal Poly. I believe $2K/yr is a typical amount, and I think it’s given only to OOS, but it’s fairly rare.

I suspect that is because there is already so much demand to attend Cal Poly, and it is already priced considerably more affordably than many schools of its caliber. I think it is an incredible value even without merit money.

7 Likes

@Bill2: I agree with @ocmom1000 that I have not seen that kind of merit at any of the CSU’s except for the Presidential Scholarship at CSULB and the Webers Honors College Scholarship at SDSU etc… and these are rare. A couple of thousand $ is the most of seen from the Cal Poly’s and I have been a poster/contributor for 10 years on CC.

5 Likes

Hi @Gumbymom , I appreciate you so much! Just wanted to clarify that my comment about OOS merit aid was directed at a commenter who complained about Minnesota giving generous OOS aid, and I was saying that Minnesota isn’t the only one. I didn’t mean to infer that the Cali schools do that, as they sure don’t! Sorry for furthering that OOS discussion on the Cal Poly thread.

1 Like

Going off the old MCA from 2013 she is maxed out except for living out of the area, not being a veteran, and other rare things. Her major is 38% if you figure they will triple the number of students they want to actually attend, to account for attrition, people getting accepted and not attending. If that MCA has changed significantly, or they aren’t tripling the number of students they want to attend all bets are off. The GPA appears to be the most critical, however, there are lots of other factors that add up.

No worries, I was really responding to @ Bill2 since he stated that SDSU offered his D a possible $32K scholarship. I have never heard of that large amount of scholarship unless it is $8K/year for 4 years at SDSU which is similar to the Weber’s Honors college scholarship. CSU’s like the UC’s give good need-based aid for in-state applicants and very little merit aid. For OOS students, merit aid has been small amounts at SLO and no where near $30K.

3 Likes

I think we all would…However, would you prefer that everyone wait until all the computations have been completed to find out? I mean say you are in state, would you prefer that international, and out of state wait until state applications have been determined? I believe state applications are last because they are the biggest pool. I don’t mind if international and out of state find out quicker, so long as it is NOT AT THE EXPENSE of in state and I do not think it is. I think I understand how it is and am fine with it.

I’m not sure about Cal Poly, my daughter got offered to apply for $32K at SDSU and it is a state college.

1 Like

I’m talking about SDSU, I really don’t know about the other CS, I assumed they did, but looks like I am wrong.

1 Like