Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

Graphic Communication or the Art and Design major, which has a Graphic Design Concentration? The latter has a portfolio requirement. Is there a portfolio requirement for the Graphic Communication major?

1 Like

How competitive is the admission into the BRAE program? I see the average about 40 spots but never have seen a number of actual applicants.

1 Like

Target projections for 2021-22 state 97 Freshman applicants for 39 spots. Again, the missing piece is how many they actually accept and their yield along with admitted students stats.

My son applied for it with a 3.67gpa. I think it’s too low. But during Covid times he had a friend get in the program with a much lower gpa. I just think it’s too competitive now.

You never know so all he can do is wait and see.

2 Likes

That is a very good point - had not realized that they were different but now that I look it up I think there might be. My D applied for the Graphic Communications - UX Design major so hoping perhaps she still has a shot if she hasn’t been asked for a portfolio. Thank you for pointing that out we will keep our fingers crossed!

IMO, I don’t believe it’s that competitive. If the yield for CAFES (we don’t know yield by major) is 43.5%, then BRAE has to accept about 90 applicants to enroll 39 applicants, which would be 93% (90/97 projected apps) acceptance rate. But every year is different.

So about 50 get waitlist and see how many people accept?

Not sure I understand your question.

I guess I’m not grasping if the have 39 spots how do they accept 90? I figured 39 get accepted and the rest get waitlist?

1 Like

All schools accept more students than spots since not every student will enroll. Students not admitted will either be waitlisted or denied.

Cal Poly has estimated that they’ll receive 97 apps. In order to get 39 students to enroll, they’ll accept 90 applicants. Why? Because they also expect 51 of the 90 acceptances to enroll at a different school. As @Gumbymom states, like all colleges, Cal Poly loses accepted applicants to other schools.

2 Likes

Ok. I understand now. Didn’t know how it works. New to the college application game. Thanks for the information

Friend’s son in LA area got accepted at both CAL Poly SLO and Pomona like 2 days ago. I do not see any postings here for SLO. I just wonder if CPP sends out early to attract more students or what is their enrollment strategy? I thought acceptance to be sent out late March, and was surprised to see them so early. I saw couple parents posted already on CPP forum about their acceptance for Fall 2022.

SLO has only sent out some acceptances for International students or US citizens studying abroad. I would be skeptical that one of the acceptances was from SLO but Pomona has been posting decisions on a rolling basis.

Edited: Some posts in regards to being admitted by @Tsunami2 were made by mistake.

2 Likes

CoE accepted - instate - no email - just checked the portal and saw update

UPDATED - MISTAKE - NO ADMISSION YET

Stats pls

Posts made by @ Tsunami12 were a mistake and they were not admitted.

4.0UW/4.8W/35 So Cal area

Not sure about SLO GPA but that 2013 MCA calc was like a 4800+ - ME