Cal Poly SLO vs Cal Poly Pomona vs all UCs (except Berkley)

<p>Which one would u guys go for engineering as electrical/computer or mechanical?
Let give me rank or advice</p>

<p>lol why no Berkeley?</p>

<p>I would probably put UCLA > UCSD > Cal Poly SLO > iono, UCI? > everything else</p>

<p>I'd do something similar, except bump UCI down a few spots:</p>

<p>UC Berkeley(included for sake of completeness)>UCLA > UCSD > Cal Poly SLO > UCDavis > UCSB > UCI > Calpoly Pomona > UC SC > UC Riverside > UC Merced</p>

<p>For ME, Cal Poly is better than all the UCs. I don't know about EE as it's a more traditional EE program (does UCLA even have high voltage classes anymore?). Cal Poly has a great CPE program, that much I know.</p>

<p>ME: Cal Poly > UCLA > UCSD > UCSB > the rest.</p>

<p>Yes, I realize that's highly atypical to see Poly ahead UCLA/UCSD, it's the reality of the employment environment. Cal Poly has great connections to both northern and southern california due to its central california placement. It also produces the largest amount of undergraduate engineers in the state of California (lots of connections). All the major California employers recruit there. </p>

<p>Just some recent ones.
Defense: Lockheed/Northrop/Raytheon/BAE
Petroleum: Chevron/Conoco/Halliburton/Schlumberger
High Tech: HP/Apple/Sony</p>

<p>Do the other schools have employment lists? You could probably just compare the quality of the employers and make a good assessment on that.</p>

<p>Poly is great in all the engineering disciplines mentioned. Though I've only taken a single introductory comp.sci course, I can tell you the CPE program is amazing, though definitely challenging!!</p>

<p>Poly isn't ranked with the UCs, but most compare it to the "mid tier" UCs. I'm not sure if this is a fair way to rank any school, as college is, after all, what you make of it. You seem to have a solid variety of picks to choose from, and I doubt any of them will limit your opportunities in any way.</p>

<p>anyway, good luck whereever you chose to go. On an unrelated note, i have to stop procrastinating and resume studying for that final tomorrow^^ Feel free to pm me if you have any specific question about cal poly</p>

<p>If I had to choose, I'd pick SLO, and I'm a Davis grad. Though, I'm not basing my decision on the level of education you'd get. SLO has a great engineering department, and, IMO, the best location.</p>

<p>SLO is my pick because it has small classes and it's near Silicon Valley. It also focuses more on undergraduate than the UCs.</p>

<p>i can only speak for UCSD but it seemes like every company that does recruit here needs a EE</p>

<p>just some of the companies that come and recruit
DECaF</a> | 2008 Registrants</p>

<p>if you want to work for defense comapnies come here, were near SPAWAR, were near the naval base etc...</p>

<p>oh and the weather is pretty nice most of the year if that matters hah</p>

<p>I was accepted at Cal Poly, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UCI, and other UCs all in computer science. After a month of researching and getting advice from friends, I chose Cal Poly, as it was ranked the second best undergraduate school for computer science in the US, behind MIT. It’s also a lot cheaper and has an extensive alumni sort of thing going on. I’ve since learned of companies like Google and Oracle that are mostly comprised (literally 30-50%) of Cal Poly graduates (for the computer scientists they hire). I didn’t even apply to UC Berkeley because of it’s intensely competitive programs, cost, and also, for computer science, they have a curriculum that is extremely theoretical, compared to Cal Poly which is themed ‘learn by doing’.</p>

<p>As for electrical, I would rank UCLA > UCSD > Cal Poly > everything else</p>

<p>As for mechanical, I would rank UCLA > Cal Poly > UCSD > everything else</p>