Cal Poly SLO vs UC Irvine for Psychology

Hi! I was recently accepted to both Cal Poly Slo and UC Irvine as a psychology major for the fall. These schools are my top 2 choices at the moment since I was waitlisted at UCLA. I was wondering if anyone has majored in psychology at either of these schools and can speak on their experiences with classes, faculty, resources, etc. to help in my decision making process. I am also considering minoring in something criminal justice/law related at either school. Any help is greatly appreciated even if you just attended either school and can speak on your experience generally.

I would go to the school you prefer. Revisit the two if possible. I’d imagine both can provide a good undergrad experience in psychology.

1 Like

I’m a parent, but my student looked at both and ended up choosing UCI bc of the campus/location etc, but really did like the smaller classes sizes available at Cal Poly.

I’d recommend browsing the class schedules for this year to get and idea of the variety of courses offered and class sizes, and if possible visit both campuses.

This is a good point - not just the schedule for this semester but past semesters.

Catalogues have a lot of classes, but some are offered each term, each year, but others once every four years or not in forever.

So you want to ensure you can get a robust education with flexibility in classes taken vs. being forced into the only being offered.

As an aside, I lived near UCI - it doesn’t feel like “college” to me. SLO absolutely does.

Good luck.

Very, very different physical and social environments. Have you visited both?

I don’t think you can go wrong with either from an academic standpoint.
Classes at SLO are smaller than UCI
Faculty are good at both schools
What type of resources are you wondering about?

I don’t believe there will be a problem minoring in another subject at either school but, if you are thinking of changing your major, that will be easier at UCI than at SLO.

go to uci so you’re closer to me

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.