Cal State Long Beach Class of 2027 Official Thread

Will CSULB ask for 1st semester senior grade report after you have accepted the waitlist? If it does, does it need to be official or only self-report?

CSULB applicants offered a space on the Admissions Waitlist can accept their waitlist offer by selecting the link on the portal.

You will be required to enter your CSULB Campus Identification number to access this service. Your Campus ID is the nine-digit number found in the bottom right hand corner of all Enrollment Services communications. Please make note of this number as it will be required to access your admission information.

It does not look like Senior Mid-year grades are required but if needed, CSULB will notify you to submit.

1 Like

Anyway to send them the grade report for consideration? My son 1st semester of senior grades are better than his sophomore and junior grades. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is what CSULB states about additional documents:

Once we review your application, we will notify you by email with instructions and deadlines if we need any additional documents, including transcripts. Please do not send your high school transcript prior to your graduation unless we request it.

1 Like

Not sure why someone with a high GPA (with several APs and honors, Instate, non-local) applied in CSULB, getting waitlisted?

Any idea how much is the local versus non-local aspect impacting the decisions?

The CSU application doesnā€™t include dual enrollment and community college courses taken during summer while calculating the CSU GPA. Wondering if CSULB consider these courses.

1 Like

My twins, one of them got accepted with aerospace engineering major whilst the other one, got slightly higher gpa, waitlisted with computer engineering major.

1. The CSU application review does consider all A-G courses taken the summer prior to 9th through the summer prior to 12th grades including DE and CC courses however, the courses are only weighted for the GPA calculation for the summer prior after 9th to the summer prior to 12th.
    Some campuses like SJSU have stated that since DE/CC classes are listed under the College and not the HS, they do not take those classes into consideration when they calculate their own GPA for the Impaction index. I cannot speak for CSULB.

2. All CSU campuses give priority to local in-service area applicants and some more than others like CSULB and SDSU to name a few.

Local Preference Admission Consideration

CSULB determines which first-time, first-year and transfer applicants will receive ā€œlocal preferenceā€ for admission consideration based on their high school of graduation. The same geographic boundaries that have been historically used to determine local area high schools for freshmen remain in place. These are used to determine local preference for incoming transfers as well. As part of our commitment to provide access to veterans, CSULB gives local preference to all military veterans, regardless of their school of origin.

Local Preference Admission Consideration.

As I see the application in the academic section,

1. High school section - subjects from grades 9 to 11 (all earned) calculated for the unweighted gpa of 4.3?. (12th in-progress is not included in this CSU GPA calculation)

2. CC section- all completed dual enrollment and sumner courses. CC shows separate weighted GPA of 4.

Same, in-state but non-local for getting into waitlist

Grades from A-G courses taken the summer after 9th to the summer prior to 12th grade are calculated into the CSU GPA with an 8 semester Honors point cap to give a maximum capped weighted GPA of 4.4.

Since CC courses are reported separately, some CSU campuses include these courses in the GPA calculation and some do not. I cannot speak for CSULB as stated above.

On the CSU GPA calculator info this is what is stated about CC courses.

College courses used to meet CSU ā€œa-gā€ requirements can also result in honors points. But no more than eight honors points may be awarded.

To me this means that if the HS transcript fulfills the a-g course requirements, it is at the discretion of the CSU campus to include the CC courses as part of the GPA calculation or not.

I would definitely contact CSULB admissions and ask how they handle the CC courses and if they are used in their GPA calculation.

I had no idea the local service area students were guaranteed admission if they met the minimum reqs - thank you for mentioning this! I found this article (from 2018, but still relevant) that provides insight about this and now I donā€™t feel so terrible for my kid that he was rejected.

4 Likes

Interesting article. Going by the number, out of the 103,000 applied, only 6000 local (5.83%) and 2400 (2.33%) non-local were selected?

I havenā€™t read the article but donā€™t forget to account for yield. If a school needs to enroll n # of students (say n=9,000) and know that only one in six who are admitted will enroll, they will admit n x 6 to get there.

2 Likes

Those numbers quoted are enrolled. The # of students admitted is much higher since their yield for Fall 2026 Freshman was 7%. The 103,000 were total applications for Freshman and Transfers.

According to Beach data, 60,744 Freshman applicants for 2026 and 19,711 were admitted. 4253 Fall Freshman enrolled.

https://data.ir.csulb.edu/t/IRA-Public/views/BeachDataAtAGlance/AtAGlance?%3Aiid=3&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y&%3Amobile=true&%3AdeepLinkingDisabled=y

2 Likes

D Waitlisted

CSU GPA: 3.7
Number of a-g courses: 20
Number of AP/Honors: 10
Intended Major: Biology
Local CA
Honors College: No

1 Like

When did she receive the notification? Itā€™s really unbelievable how hard it is for California students to attend college within the state.

4 Likes

Decision: Rejected

CSU Capped Weighted GPA (found on CSU application with Maximum of 4.4): 3.5
Number of a-g courses taken 9-12th: 20
Number of UC approved Honors/AP/IB or DE classes: 7 (4 AP & 3 Honors)
Intended Major: Business HR
Local/Non-local CA resident/OOS/International: Nor Cal
Honors College Invite: No
Stu Gov leadership, multiple clubs & work over 20 hours per week

Other Acceptances: CSUF (Physics), SJSU, Humboldt, CSUS, CSUC, CSUSB, CSUN, CSUSM, Sonoma & SFSU

Decision: Waitlisted
GPA UW 3.7 W 3.9
2 AP, 3 DE (sorry canā€™t remember # a-g courses)
Major: Film
Out of State: Montana

My son received the notification in early February.
He was accepted at the other Cal States he applied to: San Diego State, CSUN, Chico State

1 Like

Hi. Are there threads for all of the CSUs class of 2027? I cannot find one for CSUN, and the site wont let me add a CSUN thread topic - the tag comes up with an error message (california-state-university-northridge).

Here is the link for CSUN and I created a discussion thread: Cal State Northridge Official Thread Class of 2027

2 Likes