Cal State Long Beach Class of 2027 Official Thread

Can I ask when your son was notified about receiving a spot on the waitlist for CSULB. My daughter is on waitlist and it is her top choice

For San Jose state U, students graduated from high schools in Santa Clara county got a 0.25 GPA boost in the application.

Local in-service area applicants are given priority and they are guaranteed admission into CSULB if they meet all CSU requirements. If not admitted into their 1st choice major, they will be admitted as Undeclared. Each CSU campus gives priority to their local applicants. CSULB does not specify how they give priority but for some campuses, a GPA bump is given or extra points in their selection index etc

I was admitted today for pre-film electronic arts !

7 Likes

Hi we just SIR to Long Beach yesterday and paid the fee but the portal still doesn’t show the update, anyone has the same problem ?

My son just got off from waitlist for Pre- Mechanical Engineering. Seems like it is too late for consideration, since he has commited to another school before May 1st. Wishing CSULB informed him earlier or admitted him in first round.

If you’re accepted off the waitlist, you can usually accept the new school and then decline the school you originally committed to. You lose the deposit you paid though.

Housing is an issue this late into the process. Another poster stated in May their student was 489 out of 700+ on the housing waitlist. If housing is not issue, then definitely something to consider.

1 Like

my son got off the Cal State Long Beach waitlist on May 5th and he’s currently 489/700+ applicants on the waitlist for housing. He won’t be attending since he can’t get housing. I advise you call and speak to the housing department before accepting. Good luck!!!

2 Likes

oh ya, I never thought of that issue. Does that mean he would’ve had to stay off campus on a housing contract, or he would have to find his own housing?
congrats to your son!

He would have to find his own housing
 they referred him to two hotels they contracted with. That’s a big no when it’s 3 miles away from campus.

thank you for this advice!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That’s interesting. We were told something completely different from housing at Long Beach. My son’s friend was in the 300’s on the waitlist and got a place last week, and they told my son (that was much worse on the waitlist) they expected another large wave of availability in early July and then they could try to be roommates. Now I’m a little worried.

1 Like

We are running into this problem at Fullerton. I wish I had done my research beforehand and realized first year students weren’t guaranteed housing at some of these schools. It didn’t even occur to me!

1 Like

I spoke to the Housing Department in person this past Monday at Long Beach State. This is when we were told there’s very little chance in receiving on campus housing (like 5%). I appreciated someone finally being honest with me. My son was attending an in person SOAR orientation for incoming students so I decided to go see what his chances were to get housing. He had already registered for his classes via zoom the week before. We thought he’d be fine, but apparently not.

1 Like

Long Beach has tons of applicants every year. They should have better planning for campus housing.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/the-short-list-college/articles/colleges-that-received-the-most-applications

3 Likes

Decision: D was waitlisted spring. Now just accepted for January 2024 start.

Major: Fashion Design

Non local California applicant

Anyone else hear of spring start for incoming freshman? Did the fall acceptance pool shrink due to the economy, campus housing shortage, or maybe both?

Spring semester start for Freshman is something new as far as I have been following CSU admissions. I do know that some UC’s and CSU’s are experimenting with alternate Semester/Quarter admissions due to housing issues and trying to maximize enrollment through out the school year.

1 Like