Calc II - III

<p>Can anyone tell how deep into the Essentials book the Calc II classes go or, alternatively, where Calc III begins? D would like to know. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance,
LL</p>

<p>This is a link to the calc II spring 12 syllabus for my fav math professor [UA</a> Online Syllabi](<a href=“UA Online Syllabi”>UA Online Syllabi)
It shows the chapters and topics that will be covered in Calc II.</p>

<p>Thank you, MesquiteGirl, for both the syllabus and the professor rec. D is going into Calc III and is glad to know that she covered those topics from II in her BC course.</p>

<p>Wow! This was super helpful! I just showed this + sample problems from another site to son, and he quite confidently said ‘I’ve done all this.’ Makes his decision to go into Calc III directly that much more reassuring. Still waiting on those AP results, tho…</p>

<p>Is this the correct book? I can’t find any that match the ISBN posted on the bookstore site. We are going to re-evaluate course choice once we know AP scores. I had talked my S into taking Calc II from some advice on this board and now I’m rethinking. </p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals, Enhanced Edition (with Enhanced WebAssign with eBook Printed Access Card for Multi Term Math and Science) (9780538497398): James Stewart: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-Transcendentals-Enhanced-WebAssign/dp/0538497394/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340148748&sr=1-1&keywords=STEWART+%2F+ESSENTIAL+CALCULUS+BUNDLE+w%2F+EBOOK]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Calculus-Transcendentals-Enhanced-WebAssign/dp/0538497394/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340148748&sr=1-1&keywords=STEWART+%2F+ESSENTIAL+CALCULUS+BUNDLE+w%2F+EBOOK)</p>

<p>One other question - how much more work is Honors Calc III compared to regular? We are also going to review the Physics choice, and he can’t take Honors Physics and Honors Calc III (if that’s the route he chooses) because they are both only offered one time at the same time during the fall semester, so he would have to choose one or the other.</p>

<p>Usually the honors versions of calc aren’t “more work”…in fact, they can be less work because some profs have kind of an honor system where kids only have to do the homework if they feel that they need the reinforcement…and even then, they only had to do as much as they felt they needed. So, if the homework was 1-40 odd, if the student felt that doing 20 - 40 odd was enough, that was fine. </p>

<p>My kids have done both the honors and non honors versions of calc II and III and that was really the only significant difference…that and class size…honors is smaller and supposed to be taught by the best profs…</p>

<p>Thanks. If we switches, it will probably be Honors math over physics, because he can’t fit in Honors physics, regular Calc III and Engr 111. </p>

<p>On a related but different subject, the AP results are supposed to available July 1, a Sunday. Anyone know if 7/1 is still the date even though it’s the weekend? Can we call at midnight? :)</p>

<p>M2CK, we are comfortable with D going into Calc III. Would it be a stretch though to go directly into Honors Calc III? Her Calc III prof is not highly rated but the open Honors Calc III class shows TBA for a prof. </p>

<p>Class2012Mom, I read today on Twitter that 7/1 is still currently the date. I believe last year they might have released them on 6/30. Colleges are also supposed to have them by 7/1. If you follow @AP_Trevor on Twitter, you can see general test results for the tests they have graded (which I believe are almost all of them). </p>

<p>Also, that is the book we purchased (used). The ISBNs have been confusing. The one listed by UA is an earlier edition. I’m wondering if they just didn’t update it.</p>

<p>“2012 AP Calculus BC results: 50.7%=5” Wow.</p>

<p>Lattelady, did your D try to access the web portion of the book using the code from your used book?</p>

<p>^^^No, she hasn’t. It is shrink-wrapped and looks official (the web portion). Do you think we should give it a try?</p>

<p>I’d like it if you tried it as I’d feel better buying a used version if your code works. Or maybe someone else will chime in and answer that the codes will or won’t work in general terms.</p>

<p>It looks like you need an institution code, a class key, and to login in. Since she doesn’t have those, I don’t think we can try to log in. It says you can only use the access code once, so I don’t want to burn it without all the info.</p>

<p>Did you buy used on Amazon from the listing that says still in shrink wrap? Most of the sellers say the access code has been used.</p>

<p>I did not expect to get an webassign code since I was buying used. I assumed D would get it from the publisher. But it does appear to have one. I guess we will see if it is valid when class begins. </p>

<p>I bought from this page, but with the Used button on the right side:</p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals, Enhanced Edition (with Enhanced WebAssign with eBook Printed Access Card for Multi Term Math and Science) (9780538497398): James Stewart: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0538497394/ref=ox_ya_os_product]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0538497394/ref=ox_ya_os_product)</p>

<p>Does anyone have personal experience with jumping right into Calculus III? I made a 3 on the Calc BC test my junior year, so I can get credit at Bama for Calc I and II (I’m an incoming freshman). I’m just not sure if I wouldn’t be wiser to start with Calc II instead of III. Currently I am signed up for Calc III with Prof Vo T Liem. I’m extremely studious, so I’m not afraid of studying, but I don’t necessarily relish the thought of being completely lost in the class.</p>

<p>My D and I met with Dr. Wu, the chair of the math department, when we visited last winter. We specifically asked his opinion about placement for incoming BC students. He clearly seemed to feel that a 3 is not sufficient for placement into Calc III, even if it is the official UA policy. He said several times that knowing 'the “how” of calculus isn’t as important as knowing the “why”. He also said that the incoming student’s math maturity is important in making the placement. Dr. Wu said that a 5 on the BC exam would be more appropriate for placement into Calc III.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about Calc III too much. It’s only marginally more difficult than Calc I. Calc II is the killer. Calc III is almost entirely Calc I concepts applied on a slightly more expansive scale and anybody who can pass the BC test (even if it is only a 50% cutoff) shouldn’t have any trouble at all. A 3 may not be enough to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of Calc II, however. Calc III uses almost nothing from Calc II but if you barely passed the test you’d be wise to consider retaking it, especially if you’re a math major.</p>

<p>As for honors, my experience was entirely different from what m2ck wrote. Homework and “quizzes” (both through WebAssign) were 20% of my grade in all three classes and the tests were very hard, especially in Calc I and II. One of my roommates freshman year dropped to regular for Calc II and said it was far easier. As with any class, it will vary by professor.</p>

<p>Speaking from experience, I took non honors Calc II, and it was terrible. Partially due to the teacher, partially due to the material. Calc III on the other hand, was honors and was an awesome math experience. Great prof, material was easier and made more sense, and less stressful in general with homework. If you feel moderately confident in Calc II after BC, skip it and jump into Calc III. You can do it!</p>

<p>Mesquite…who did you have for Calc II? My kids had Dr. Laurie (excellent, but now retired) and Dr. Hadji (very good). </p>

<p>The material for Calc II doesn’t really build on Calc I, which may surprise some. Cal II is mostly series, sequences, and integration techniques. Cal III will be multivariable calculus.</p>