Calculating GPA for out-of-state?

<p>First of all… I don’t think that I will get into a UC. Second of all… I’m not if I’m even going to apply. Third of all… The calculation process is confusing.</p>

<p>My ‘official’ GPA is 2.8 uw and 3.43 weighted. However… when I tried to figure it out based on the UC scale it was 3.78 weighted. That seems kind of high.</p>

<p>Anyways… if you could help me out… Here are my stats. [I am eliminating freshman year, since those apparently aren’t calculated.]</p>

<p>Sophomore Year
C+ English 10 Honors
B+ European History Honors
B- Algebra II/Trig. Honors
B- Physics Honors
B Chemistry Honors
A- Concert/Jazz Band
B French III Honors
B- Latin III Honors</p>

<p>Junior Year
B+ English 11 Honors
B+ AP US History
C+ Pre-Calculus Honors
C+ AP Music Theory
A- Concert/Jazz Band (1.5 credits)
B French IV Honors
B+ Philosophy Honors</p>

<p>And some further thoughts… there is no AP English until senior year. Pre-Calculus is the highest math available for juniors. French IV is the highest level before AP French. There is actually non-trig Algebra II and there is Alg 3 instead of Pre-Cal.</p>

<p>So if you could help me out and explain to me which ones will probably get honors credit. (I know that APs do and that you can only get up to 8.)</p>

<p>Also… it talks about semesters. I am not on block-scheduling… does that mean that I still consider semesters? (A semester for us is only .5 credit.)</p>

<p>Oh… and I didn’t have a study hall in either year. Band was after school during my sophomore year but is during the day this year.</p>

<p>Please help me. I’m considering looking at some schools in Cal and would like to figure out where I fit in.</p>

<p>Are you using your honors classes to weight your UC gpa? Because you’re out of state, UC schools only weight AP classes, not honors, unfortunately.</p>

<p>Well according to: [FAQ</a> - Freshman Applicants - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/faq/FR_During.htm]FAQ”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/faq/FR_During.htm)</p>

<p>“Out-of-state applicants: only designate HL for courses designated as honors level on your official transcript.”</p>

<p>I keep getting different answers.</p>

<p>So do I only get honors credit for two things (AP Music Theory and AP US), even though I have only ever taken two non-honors classes? (both band)</p>

<p>I think you have a 3.3 UC GPA. Your honors only count for 1 more point if they are in junior year; I don’t think sophomore year counts.</p>

<p>Each UC campus has its own GPA policy. Competitive UCs like Berkeley and UCLA will look at fully weighted GPA while other UCs usually cap the GPA around 4.5 (chops off the GPA at the cap).</p>

<p>To calculate your GPA, you would use grades from a-g courses you took from the summer after freshman year to the summer after junior year, weighing all AP courses and eligible IB courses (1 extra point). This will give you the fully weighted GPA.</p>

<p>Remember that as an OOS, you must meet a stricter UC-eligibility requirement: a UC GPA of 3.4. The UC GPA is calculated using the above method, but ONLY weighing up to 8 semesters of AP/eligible IB courses. If you do not have a 3.4 UC GPA, you will not be eligible for admission consideration.</p>