Calculator for Calc II

Is getting a TI-89 or NSpire calculator for Calc II at UA worth the investment? I know that all calculations have to be done by hand but is it worth being able to check work this way? I know that wolframalpha is a resource for this which leads me to ask if anyone knows whether or not profs at UA allow calcs for exams, quizzes, etc. If not, it’s certainly not worth paying $140 for.

For my Calc II class we were not allowed calculators on the exams. The problems were difficult because of the concepts or process, not any mental math that needed to be done. I used a scientific calculator for homework in Calc II and Calc III, but even though we were allowed graphing calculators for exams in Calc III I don’t think I ever used one.

However, this is only my personal experience. Since there’s no rush, you might as well wait to ask the prof about their policy before buying anything.

Also, I found a TI-Nspire for like $45 on Amazon for AP Calc senior year. (By the way, it’s a GREAT calculator.) If you decide to get one, definitely don’t pat over $100.

@springy179 I never touched my TI-84 in Calculus I except to do square roots, but there was a girl beside me who had a TI-89 and she did EVERYTHING in the calculator. However, I knew Calc II is COMPLETELY different than Calc I. The TI-89 is $140, I didn’t know the Nspire was so inexpensive. I’ll look into it.

NSpire CX CAS is probably the best overall calculator on the market right now. I would recommend it. Sure it costs $140, but it’s not like you’ll just throw it away after this class, it will last a decade or more and I am sure in that span of time you’ll take math/engineering classes that require it, if not professionally.

Think of it this way: it can’t hurt you to have the best resources.

Are you going to take any math past cal II? What is your major?

As a civ-e major who has taken cal II &III and diff eq, I don’t know which courses my son has used his calculator forr, but he uses it very frequently and it is ESSENTIAL for some of his exams. I know this past semester he told me that he had to ask the instructor if there was a calculator he could borrow when his batteries died during the final.

My son has a fairly basic graphing calculator (the same he’s used since high school, I’m not sure of the model), but I often consider upgrading it for him because I know he makes frequent use of it.

If you won’t be taking any math past cal II, then perhaps it’s not necessary, but depending on your major and future courses you may be taking, it might be a worthwhile investment for the future.

@jrcsmom I’m a chemical engineering major, so I’ll be taking way past Calc II.

I would also recommend the Nspire. Bought for DS in high school and he loves it.

The Nspire sounds good.
Beyond Calc II, is it enough for calc III?

What if a person already has a TI 84 that she/he is comfortable with? Is the TI 84 enough for Calc III, or is the Nspire better?

Is the NSpire easier or harder to use than the TI84?

Thanks

The T184 will be fine…use what you have. Don’t be surprised though that you might have to buy a cheap nongraphing calculator for a class.

You’ll need non-graphing calculator for intro/basic Chem.