Calhoun Discovery Program

Has anyone else interviewed or been invited to interview for the Calhoun Discovery Program?

I am trying to gauge how many people have been involved so far.

My son interviewed for the program. He is very interested in it and was excited to get to interview.

@brentwoodmom Nice! What’s his major? I’m planning to do Computer Engineering.

Computer Modeling and Data Analytics

@brentwoodmom Did they mention to your son any kind of time frame for when they would release invitations to the program?

Hi, I interviewed for the program. I was wondering if any of you knew when decisions
would come out for the program? If you get are denied do they still send a letter or no?

We are wondering the same thing.

@MarinaraSauce2 Have you heard anything?

My son received an email this afternoon that he has been waitlisted for CDP. He is so disappointed. Hopefully you will both get better news.

My son interviewed in December and received an email about two weeks later that he didn’t get it. It sounded like an amazing opportunity but I have to be honest that I was a bit relieved. I felt like it could end up adding a lot of stress.Good luck to you guys!

Hey, I just got my acceptance letter. I think they do it on a rolling basis.

I got mine about a week ago. Are you planning on accepting it?

I’m debating between UMCP and VT, but I’m leaning towards VT for financial reasons

Just wondering what are the stats of those students who were accepted into the CDP? Also, what are your intended majors? Congrats to those in the program!!!

Major: Computational Modeling and Data Analytics
ACT: 34
GPA: 3.88
APs: World History(4), AB Calculus(5), Language and Composition(5), Chemistry(4)

Leadership/Extracurricular: VP of Bollywood Dance, Patriot Ambassador, NHS, EHS, VP of Forensics Public Speaking, Captain of Color guard, Cross-Age Teaching of Science
Work: private tutor, teach coding club for elementary school students

Mostly, I just think my interview went well

Major: Computational modeling and data analytics
ACT: 31
GPA: 3.89
AP: 4s on Human Geography, Lang and Composition, Environmental science, us history, and computer principles.

Leadership/extracurriculars: mountain biking team since 8th grade (co-captain freshmen year to junior year, swim team 10th-11th grade
Work: barista at Starbucks

I think I got in because my interview went well and I have decent communication/writing skills along with the math stuff

My son just received an invitation to interview yesterday. Any tips for those that went through it last year? What made a successful interview?

@somyajain17 and @Littlemerrider - Can you share what went well with your interview? My son was invited to interview and is in the process of preparing.

I also got an interview for the program, I also would like to know what I can do to prepare

@a student trying to get into college - did you apply to the honors college or Calhoun program, or did they reach out and ask you to consider? Just trying to better understand how admissions work. TIA!

I didn’t apply to the program, I don’t think there is an application, but I did apply to the honors college, which was just checking a box.