Called college wrong name

Hello!

I am a current senior and have finished applying to college.

I was waitlisted at College A. I had a question for them about something, but I used the name of College B by accident. Basically, I called College A, and what I said was along the lines of “Hello, my name is ____ and I applied to (College B) for the fall of 2023 school year.” I said the wrong university name to the wrong university.

I said my name and they also obviously have my phone number.

Would they be able to find out who I am? If so, would this negatively affect my waitlist? If I wanted to transfer to this school later, would this college know what I did and would they reject me outright?

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate all your help.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about this at all, things like this happen. I don’t think it will affect your waitlist status, or chances of getting off the waitlist. You may have been speaking with a student, or an admin, or an admissions officer…do you know? Did you go on to have a conversation with this person?

2 Likes

Thank you for the response! I contacted the university’s admissions representative. He said just said that this is College A and I just apologized and hung up.

If you gave your name…they don’t need to “find out” who you are.

But this was a mistake made likely by others…and really the person answering the phone was likely not the admissions officer who will be reviewing your application.

Could the admissions representative put a warning note in my application or something like that for the admissions officers to see?

Not likely. But next time you make a call…or wrote a letter, please be more careful.

1 Like

Yes, of course. Thank you!

Trust me, colleges are well aware, that 99% of their applicants will also have applied to other colleges. THAT is not new/crucial/surprising information for them to know about YOU specifically.

Also, with the number of calls they have to field, any call that does NOT require them to take action, but just move on to the next caller, is a welcome “wrong number” call.

2 Likes

I highly doubt it. Really, I wouldn’t give this another bit of thought. Good luck getting off the waitlist. Do make sure to deposit at another school by May 1.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses! I am still deciding which school to send a deposit to, but when I do decide, I will.

1 Like

No issue here and getting off a WL is unlikely at most schools (but not necessarily impossible).

If you don’t get off - and this is the most likely scenario, don’t think this had anything to do with it.

I’m sure it won’t.

Good luck.

3 Likes

The only time it can and will be used against you if you emailed the AO and or put the wrong name in the application or essay.

Otherwise just move on. This won’t be the reason you didnt get accepted.

Start loving the schools that are loving you back right now.

The person that answered that phone was almost certainly a freshman or sophomore work-study student. You’re worried about nothing.

1 Like