Caltech Class 2027 Official Thread

I started a new thread as I couldn’t find a similar thread on the topic.

Here is an important update to admission practices that you may want to read: Caltech Announces Updates to Admissions Practices | www.caltech.edu

Key update, in my opinion is, Caltech is REA now i.e. one can not apply EA to both Caltech and MIT.

All the best!

2 Likes

Is anyone uploading a resume? It’s an option on the portal, though it was never specified on the website…

My kid will be applying RD, he’s applying REA to Stanford. I will follow this thread for updates.

Hi, where do you see the option to upload a resume? I am looking at the Caltech tab in the common app and I do not see a way to upload it. Thanks

1 Like

It’s not in the Common App, it’s in the portal.

1 Like

A few weeks left - looking at 12/10 for the release date, since they release on Saturdays. 12/17 would be rather late.

It was 12/18 last year.

1 Like

With REA this year number of applications should drop, which is why I would expect 12/10, but yes it could be as late as 12/17

1 Like

Someone I know says she got a rejection this morning. Isn’t it too early for REA results to be out?

Yes, too early. And they don’t send out individual one-off notifications - it’s all on the same day. I’m guessing this person is mistaken or being inaccurate.

1 Like

Guys I have a major update (recent achievement). Should I add this as supplementary material on the portal?

1 Like

Also, I have heard very few people did Caltech REA due to the new restrictive policy. Is it true and does this mean more acceptance rate in REA?

Is there a early action thread for Caltech ?

1 Like

This seems to be it.

1 Like

Not to be overly skeptical of “I have heard,” but is this from a reliable source? I would expect the number to be down (for example, Princeton REA gets about 1/3 of MIT unrestricted EA apps despite them getting the same number of overall apps), but I’m really curious how this impacted Caltech in the first year of REA.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the primary reason why Caltech switches to REA from EA this year is to reduce the number of early applicants. It has a very small admissions office and it has had too many applications since it became test blind. The way it vets applicants is also more time consuming and takes more resources. A reduction in REA applications may also allow it to announce early admissions earlier than its peers (which it used to prefer).

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense. It also gives admissions a good sense of which students are truly prioritizing Caltech, as opposed to simply looking for an early response. I’m just curious about the comment above that very few people did Caltech REA. It would be interesting to hear how the number of apps compared to expectations and the handful of other REA schools.

2 Likes

I read on a similar platform so not sure about the authenticity but yeah im curious too.

Im glad that the REA is able to showcase students who truly prioritise Caltech in their pursuit and see it as a potential fit.

3 Likes

They probably also need to protect their yield - too many cross-admits getting swiped by MIT.

And also I hope they do release earlier this year…!

3 Likes