Caltech Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

California Institute of Technology offers Early Action for freshman admissions.

The Early Action (EA) deadline for Fall 2022 admission at Caltech is November 1.

All early action applicants should receive an admissions decision on December 18. For more information visit the California Institute of Technology page on College Confidential.

See updates and discuss results with other Caltech applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to California Institute of Technology? Why Caltech? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other Caltech topics visit the california-institute-of-technology tag on CC Forums.

Have more information about Caltech Early Action?

This post is a wiki and allows CC members to edit and update relevant information - just click the Edit button in the lower right corner. (You must be a registered user with at least Member level privileges to edit wikis).

Hi, I have a question on Common app testing portion for Caltech. Somehow the final pdf cutout even the reported AP tests and scores. Anyone noticed that? Do we reach out to the admissions and inform them and send them the AP testing scores? Any advice?

I believe that has always been the case. It doesn’t mean these AP scores weren’t downloaded by Caltech, however. There’s no need to “inform them” separately.

1 Like

Makes sense. Thank you so much. We were kind of divided on whether to report or not.

1 Like

I just noticed that Caltech Decisions will be released after 12/15. on the portal. I thought it was 12/12…

They just changed it yesterday or the day before I believe. Seems they are understaffed. Even checklist came out pretty late.

It seems like everyone, everywhere is understaffed these days! :roll_eyes: :pensive:

My D thought the announcement date of 12/12 12:12pm was so cool. Oh well! Another week+ to wait Maybe they’ll do it on 18th or 19th, the same weekend as MIT. In any case, they have to announce before Christmas so 22nd/23rd at the latest I suppose.

Caltech has a somewhat unique process with greater faculty involvement. Unfortunately for some, this means it will take more time for them to deal with a much larger volume of applications. Caltech has a greater increase percentage-wise in application volume than almost any of its peers since the changes it made regarding standardized tests.

2 Likes

Any guesses/clues regarding when decisions might be released?

Portal used to say Dec 12 at 12:12pm PT. Now it says after Dec 15.

Yes, I’m aware. Hoping for a more specific date though. Perhaps some portal astrology :wink: anyone?

“After Dec 15” is somewhat open ended (yes, I know they’ll announce before Christmas at latest :grinning: but my D doesn’t want to wait that long)

Portal astrology? :rofl::rofl:

Here’s some portal astrology I read online for CalTech - and please - understand there is absolutely no basis in fact for this, so take it for entertainment value only…

“If the checklist on the portal disappears, decisions will be released the next day”.

Let’s see if that turns out to be true :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mostly after the 15th, probably evening (I hope so)

So, you’re guessing evening of the 16th?

I won’t be surprised though. They have 4 AOs for probably a couple thousands of applications, that’s very well expected. Lets all hang in there. And good luck to our sons/daughters.

2 Likes

It looks like in 2018, 2019 and 2020 CalTech released EA decisions on the 2nd Saturday of December. That has passed, but I expect they’ll stick with a Saturday.

So I’m going to guess they’ll announce decisions on Dec 18th.

Ha ha ha looks like the anxiety is kicking in (today my D22 finally said she experienced butterflies in stomach when we were talking about MIT decisions) . Caltech always try to announce theirs ahead of MIT AFAIK. If they are doing on the 18th then we can expect MIT will mostly do it the day after or the following week. So far no news from both ends.

1 Like

:grinning: Same situation here! My D is waiting to hear from CalTech and MIT too and is super nervous. Funnily, she’s only eager to know the decisions dates - but says she’s not in a rush to actually view the decisions!

Yes, CalTech has typically announced their decisions earlier than MIT but in 2019 both schools announced on the same day (12/14), so that could happen this year too - next Saturday. My daughter calls that’s a nightmare scenario. Says she won’t be able to handle viewing those two decisions on the same day :sweat_smile:

3 Likes