Campus jobs

<p>I haven’t seen anything here regarding working on campus. My son has work experience managing databases and is currently honing his SQL knowledge. My understanding is that there a pretty big demand for these skills. Just wondering what the opportunities are for him if he wants to earn some spending money, and how he find on-campus jobs.</p>

<p>I don’t know about the types of jobs that you’re talking about… Is that some kind of MIS job? If so, the Bschool or the Bschool career center might know. </p>

<p>Student jobs at Bama tend to fall into a few different categories…</p>

<p>1) Work study jobs…often don’t require any skills.</p>

<p>2) Jobs with skills…paid tutors, lifeguards, etc.</p>

<p>3) Academic-related jobs working for profs…research, editing, TA’ing, etc</p>

<p>There is a student job website. Not sure what it’s listing right now. </p>

<p>Also…many kids work off-campus as well.</p>

<p>The Alabama website is pretty easy to navigate and very informative. Check out this page: [Student</a> Employment](<a href=“http://hr.ua.edu/employment/student-employment/index.html]Student”>http://hr.ua.edu/employment/student-employment/index.html)</p>

<p>Kind of surprised that when I searched “computer” I only got 4 hits. I would think with database skills there would be an opportunity someplace in IT or individual departments.</p>

<p>I think at this point in the school year most of those jobs have been taken already.</p>

<p>To the best of my knowledge, UA does not employ a lot of students in the capacity riprorin is describing. I have training in that area, know the faculty members who would be told about those jobs, and know tens of students with similar backgrounds to myself and can think of only a couple who have on-campus jobs relating to data and those students already have a bachelor’s degree. As a freshman can only work 10-15 hours per week and upperclassmen can only work 15-25 hours per week, 20 if Work Study, UA finds it easier to hire full time employees for such positions. </p>

<p>A lot of jobs at UA are found via word of mouth. Develop connections with faculty and staff early on; both of the jobs I’ve had at UA I were/are in departments where I already knew some of the of faculty and staff.</p>

<p>I know I saw a few jobs requiring programming skills on the jobs database prior to first semester. There were also a handful of jobs in the computer labs posted. If, as Sea_Tide said, a lot of jobs are filled with students known to the department/professor, they might never make it to the jobs posting site.</p>

<p>Thanks. It’s not a big deal as he’ll likely be busy enough with his classwork and won’t want to work, but I was curious about what opportunities existed.</p>

<p>profs and departments send out emails to their students when they have student-skilled academic-related job opportunities.</p>