Campus life

<p>College Station, what is a typical week like? (studying hours, where you eat, how often you meet up with friends, intramurals, etc.)</p>

<p>What type of students fit in well at TAMU as opposed to who would probably fit better at T.U.? </p>

<p>What type of Greek life is there?</p>

<p>Basically who fits?</p>

<p>dpitre100 - I can’t answer your questions directly, but it might help those who could if you could tell us some basics:</p>

<ol>
<li> For what major (it matters)</li>
<li> Are you thinking about corp?</li>
<li> Are you thinking about honors or LLC?</li>
</ol>

<p>ok yeah sure i didnt think about that</p>

<p>engineering major either mechanical or petroleum</p>

<p>probably won’t join the corp but we’ll see</p>

<p>honors may be out of my reach but I would like to know the difference. I heard from a current student that LLC is ok but not anything really to look forward to.</p>

<p>I’m not sure there is a “typical” week of campus life. As you are pursuing engineering, your study time will likely be much more than your non-engineer friends. For your first two years, the difference won’t be that drastic (unless you make it so). Your last two years will require a good amount of your time.</p>

<p>As far as “fitting in”… there are no requirements to “fit in”. If you try to or like Aggie sports, that will certainly help (Aggies even enjoy obscure sports). Typical demographic at A&M is white and conservative, but this doesn’t mean you won’t “fit in”. With 50k students, there are plenty of people who will be like you. Greek life participation is generally low, especially compared to t.u., although the opportunity is there and plenty take part in it.</p>

<p>Personally, I’d recommend taking a visit. Aggieland Saturday in the Spring is a good time to check out the school in general. For greek life, many of the fraternities/sororities host potential rushees… especially during the summer. So you can get a taste of that as well.</p>

<p>Normal kids go to college station so if you’re a normal kid somewhat you’ll fit in fine.</p>

<p>Weird and hipster homosexual kids to go austin so if you’re into that kind of stuff then go there.</p>

<p>NORMAL is a setting on a washing machine. Go check it out. The vibe is very different on campus at A & M than it is at University of Texas. It’s true that one might appeal more than the other to different personalities - but I’d steer clear of broad, sweeping, generalized descriptions. :wink: Best to see for yourself! :)</p>

<p>Thanks both of you :slight_smile: I just needed a feel for what really goes on there. I’ve visited A & M twice but never University of Texas, maybe I’ll visit Austin soon but I’m pretty sure College Station is my place.</p>

<p>Can someone tell me how i can post my own message? im new to this site and dont know how to post</p>

<p>if you want it to be a texas a&m thread go back to the texas a&m home page and hit new thread at the top of all of the threads</p>

<p>I want to post my comment separately from this.</p>

<p>My D is in greek life and really enjoying it, I think it is growing at A&M . Most of the kids she has met are fairly conservative, but there are all types of kids from what she says. From my observation on weekend visits, I would agree you won’t find many “hipster” types… Everyone is very friendly and the kids are polite.</p>

<p>Oh and D is a business major, she studies about 20-25 hours a week most weeks.</p>