Campus Life

<p>I think I would be competitive for admission at UM (1410 SAT CR + M SAT, 31 ACT English + Math, 3.7 GPA, top quarter of my class), I hear that it is a fabulous school, and I like the location. What is campus life like? What are the people like, and the campus culture? I am very interested in neuroscience, how is the program in Miami? Above all, what makes the University of Miami unique?</p>

<p>Any help is appreciated!</p>

<p>Hi. I can give you some info, but it is limited as my DS is only a freshman (and I don’t get a ton of info from him). He is a BME major.</p>

<p>He loves being in Coral Gables. He’s very active and loves being able to be outside doing his sports. People are very diverse in interests and nationality (a big plus, from my POV).</p>

<p>He is not into Canes football (most people are, I think) or the party scene, but has found his people.</p>

<p>You are interested in sciences, like my DS, and I can tell you that on Monday, there is a presentation about undergrad research opportunities (love this, I hope he goes).</p>

<p>What makes it unique is that it’s a great university (already well-respected but continuing to be on the rise, I believe, especially in sciences and engineering), has a forward thinking president who attracts top talent, in a beautiful location that is easy to get to.</p>

<p>I don’t know about the neuroscience program specifically. Hopefully someone else can weigh in for you.</p>

<p>I am interested in the campus life aspect as well. My D is considering UM as well as uf and FSU, but I’m concerned that UM will not offer the same campus life the state schools will, she is very social and I believe she will enjoy the offerings of a burgeoning campus experience. We visited UM a few weeks ago on a Saturday (no game) and the campus was a ghost town, a little disconcerting.</p>

<p>Miami is a great town that provides social and cultural opportunity for students year round.The university offers transportation so kids can enjoy the beach, go shopping and movies during the weekends. My son is a commuter and is always involved with the clubs and school activities and of course his studies.</p>

<p>Well go to UF or FSU on a weekend when there is no game and it will be a ghost town. I am transferring from UF to Miami. So I know UF fairly well. I hate living in a small town with a big school but that is just me.</p>