Campus Mail

<p>I just got an email about the mail service for next year. Here is the scoop:
Update on Campus Mail Service:
The University will manage all campus mail service following the closure of the U.S. Post Office in the Ferguson Center at the end of the semester. The current post office space in Ferguson will be renovated and will open as the Student Mail and Package Distribution Center this summer. The center will handle all student mail and packages, departmental mail, and all other mailing options that are currently available with USPS. Students will be able to rent a mailbox and receive USPS, UPS and FedEx items at that location. In addition, computers will be available for students, faculty and staff to go online to ship items by UPS or FedEx. These packages will be accepted at the Campus Mail counter. The new Campus Mail center will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, providing efficient and convenient service for the University community. Additional information will be posted at <a href=“http://www.campusmail.ua.edu%5B/url%5D”>www.campusmail.ua.edu</a> in the coming weeks.</p>

<p>Thank you so much!</p>

<p>My daughter will be moving off campus next year. I was planning on getting her a PO Box at the UPS store, but am now wondering if she could continue to get her mail using this service. Thoughts?</p>

<p>I think any student can use the mail service regardless of where they live. I’m sure it would be more convenient with the amount of time they spend on campus.</p>

<p>I’m not sure whether your D will be living in a house or an apartment, but many/most of the apartment complexes provide mailboxes fon site for residents and will sign for larger packages for residents. That would eliminate the need for using campus mail or the UPS Store unless you chose to do so.</p>

<p>Thanks. We did look into how her apartment complex handles packages, and unfortunately were told they are left outside your door by the mail carrier. :-(</p>

<p>what does a student do over the time period that the post office is closed for reno? do they forward their mail to somewhere else, or ???</p>

<p>It’s quite possible that there will be limited post office service during the renovation for those staying on campus during the summer.</p>

<p>I noticed that the email didn’t state if there will still be 24/7 access to the mailboxes or state when the last mail pickup for the day will be, both of which are good things to know.</p>

<p>I wonder who and when we pay for a campus mailbox.</p>

<p>Sent from my GT-P5113 using CC</p>

<p>There are several threads on this UA forum (search “mail” or “post office” to view them all), but I’m posting here an update that we all got via a UA Parent/Crimson Connections email: [Campus</a> Mail Update: Fall 2013 | University of Alabama Online Parent Guide](<a href=“http://www.universityparent.com/alabama/2013/06/19/campus-mail-update-fall-2013]Campus”>http://www.universityparent.com/alabama/2013/06/19/campus-mail-update-fall-2013) this morning.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of renting Campus Mailbox vs UPS store mailbox?
All we know is:</p>

<p>UPS is cheaper ($84/year)
UPS has 24 hr access to mailbox</p>

<p>UPS is a further walk from Ridgecrest dorms</p>

<p>I am still unclear on how things work with sending packages. Is the mailbox option simply a replacement for the post office boxes in the USPS at the Ferg last year, with the Paty Hall delivery service still available and not requiring any payment? Or is everything consolidated and you need a box to get any deliveries? Can packages be sent through any service to the box in the Ferg?</p>

<p>Edit: Found my own answers here: <a href=“http://campusmail.ua.edu/ferguson.html#benefits[/url]”>http://campusmail.ua.edu/ferguson.html#benefits&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Has anyone been able to sign up for a Mailbox??? The UA Parent/Crimson Connections email sent this morning says “Starting in late June, students will be able to rent a mailbox through their myBama account.” Don’t see anywhere to sign up on the myBama account.</p>

<p>The only thing I saw was a place to sign up with your e-mail address to get a notice when the boxes were available. I found that by clicking on a Campus Mail link under the Student tab.</p>

<p>According to the campus mail website there will be 24/7 access to the mailboxes. Sign up isn’t ready yet. I think this new setup with all the mail and packages going to the same location is ideal. One stop shopping. Love the idea that a text message will be sent when a package is received. My DW plans on sending frequent care packages.</p>

<p>I just walked by it this morning. They are going to have to hustle to hit “mid july” as the drywall wasn’t even completely finished yet. But, I also have no doubt it will be ready by August. Just stinks because the boy is here now. I was told in an email conversation with someone from UA that it will be $100 for the year to have a box that will accept packages and mail. Essentially, you are paying for the ability to accept postal mail, because all students can receive packages at no additional cost.</p>

<p>Seems a bit backward to me, as I would think few would be concerned with mail, and almost all would want package acceptance capability, but it is to the student’s favor from my perspective.</p>

<p>Ok, someone quick do the break-even point of the added expense to send mail packaged in a box for “free” to Paty vs renting a $100 box accepting letters at $.46 each.<br>
This is our first experience of being nickle-and-dimed at UA. Mail should come directly to dorms like it does at other schools.</p>

<p>Seriously, tho, some classes may require that you have the ability to receive physical mail, such as magazine or newspaper subscriptions, so it is difficult to get around this issue…</p>

<p>When we have books or other purchases sent to D, I don’t want to have to worry about what means of shipping the seller uses. FedEx subcontracts to USPS and vice versa - I don’t want packages returned because USPS packages can’t be accepted without a box. Although I’d prefer not to pay $100 for that convenience, it’s worth it to me.</p>

<p>We plan on going tomorrow to the UPS store and opening up D a box. We already have a UPS account so shipping will be good for us on that end. The bonus is we can do it now vs having to wait. When we get home there should be 2 packages waiting for her so that we can send to UA. D will be in Tut for the fall and UPS will be a bit closer. </p>

<p>Bonus with UPS is that it is a physical address for deliveries that do not deliver to a USPS Box. I’ll pay the $100 for piece of mind.</p>

<p>What about ordering online? Say I ordered a dress. If the company selling the dress ships through FedEx would I be able to receive it through a UPS box? Would I be able to receive it through the $100 box run by UA?</p>