Campus safety

<p>Cleveland has a sort of bad reputation as having a pretty high crime rate and being a dangerous city. At least, that was my general view of it. One of my dad's friends (S attending CWU) said that case western is in a relatively safe area of Cleveland. So I just want to ask, is being on and around the campus safe?</p>

<p>Case is actually right next to East Cleveland, which is one of the most dangerous areas in Cleveland, so I wouldn’t say that it’s exactly in a safe area. However, it’s not like I regularly fear for my life when I’m out at night. There have been a few times that I have been a little nervous when out by myself, and once a guy who appeared to be drunk or on drugs followed me and my roommate for a block or so. I also have friends who have friends who have been mugged. But that’s the worst that has ever happened to me.
Honestly, as long as you just don’t do anything stupid, you will be fine. Don’t go out alone late at night. Don’t go to East Cleveland. Use Safe Ride. Carry pepper spray. Just be cautious like you would in any other city.</p>

<p>I am a parent and my perception is that the CWRU campus is reasonably safe. The surrounding areas are not as safe as the University Circle neighborhood where the CWRU campus is located. I think that you need to be cautious because Cleveland is urban and has the same urban crime issues as every other city. I wouldn’t go wandering off into East Cleveland alone, or at night but University Circle is pretty nice.</p>

<p>Most crimes, seem to be bike theft even if they are bolted and locked. Bikes have been stolen from racks in front of the Library, as well as dorms and even inside the dorm storage rooms. The Case police doesn’t seem to be able to control this situation. Call the Case police and ask them what they are doing about it. The more people call, the more they know they are accountable to do something about it. Here’s Case police # 216 368 3333. Make sure your kids have this # in their cell phones. Here’s University Circle Police # 216 368 2222, Here’s safe ride: 216 368 3000.</p>

<p>Also, North of 116th Street, the area turns really bad, as well as the area behind the baseball field, near the North Residential Village. There is one of those elevated police patrol towers near the NRV. I use this site to keep abreast of the crime [Case</a> Western Reserve University - Police & Security Services - Crime Log](<a href=“Public Safety | Case Western Reserve University”>Public Safety | Case Western Reserve University). Click on Crime log and then the month, and you will see al the crimes reported. I would also advise not to leave your laptop or cell phone unattended, even in common rooms. One kid had his laptop stolen in the common room of a dorm, while he napped right next to it. Also, tell your kids to not buzz kids in that look like they don’t belong. They’ll soon recognize who belongs and who doesn’t. Report any suspicious wanderers in dorms. I’ve seen kids, around the ages of 14-18 biking around campus who are looking for opportunities to rip you off. I’ve also seen kids leaving their cellphones in the dining hall on the tables to reserve their seats. Not too smart. </p>

<p>Also, tell your kids not to talk on the cellphone while walking, especially at night. Cellphone robbery is big. And, keep those headphones off while walking alone, especially at night. You are oblivious to everything around you w. those headphones, blasting away. And lastly, if someone comes up to you and says, give me your cellphone or wallet or whatever, tell your kids to give it up. it’s not worth the potential dire consequences.</p>