Campus Visit

<p>I know I’ve seen this information on here before, but I’m not sure where I saw it. I’m planning my second visit for the week/weekend of October fifth. The first time I visited, I only got to do the general bus tour because it was during spring break so there was nothing going on on campus. I want to check out the honors college - who should I contact about this? Also what do you recommend I do while I’m there? Thanks!</p>

<p>Are you set on Oct. 5? It is a home game against Georgia State.</p>

<p>From M2CK: Avoid any weekend that there’s a home game. The hotel prices will be too high (even if you could still find one). </p>

<p>Once you choose a weekend, book a campus tour for Friday, and then (if applying for honors college) send Allison and Susan your son’s info so that they can arrange the rest of the day.</p>

<p>first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much on the Alabama forum on College Confidential which is VERY active.*
<a href=“http://talk.college-confidential.com…rsity-alabama/%5B/url%5D”>http://talk.college-confidential.com…rsity-alabama/</a></p>

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard.</p>

<p>Even if you visit when class is not in session, Contact the Honors College or your local Admissions Rep. Chances are high they can set you up to talk to a professor, Dean and other students. </p>

<p>In our experience, there always seemed to be someone available. This was true at all schools we visited, not just Bama.</p>

<p>Request to sit in on a class in your intended major if you would like. They won’t automatically schedule that, but will arrange it if it is something you do.</p>

<p>My S sat in on one of the freshman engineering courses during our second visit. After the class the instructor sat down and talked to us both (I chose not to sit through the class) about the engineering requirements and how that course fit in.</p>

<p>Don’t come the weekend of October 5th unless you can somehow find inexpensive DECENT lodging. That the weekend of a home game, so all the “decent lodging venues” have been booked for awhile.</p>

<p>That is also Homecoming! the traffic will be CRAZY, too.</p>

<p>If you can visit Oct 1-3 or Oct 7-10, that would be better.</p>

<p>When I visited, my admissions rep set everything up for me ahead of time. Just let them know a good time in advance.</p>

<p>Admissions reps do a good job, too. Don’t know if they coordinate with the HC for students who are honors qualified. Do they?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Ours did. Our area recruiter set up our first visit which included a meeting with the honors college and a tour from an honors ambassador, as well as a meeting in the engineering department.</p>