Can a D+ In an AP course affect admission?

My son is a junior in a Governor School, He has a D+ in one of the AP course, but he has maintained A’s in all other subjects. Just want to know how this D+ will impact his college admission process. What strategies should be adapt when we apply for colleges.

What is his projected AP score? If he can get a 3+, his score could soften its impact.

If you share the course, you may get suggestions on how to study.

The semester is not over yet. Have they tried to ask for help getting back on track a little? Getting up to a C or even a low B may still be possible. Is it a course that he did not have the prerequisites for or had learning gaps from Covid schooling - some are definitely struggling with Calc APs, etc…

1 Like

Thanks for the response. We spoke to the teacher and also getting help from an external tutor, at this point we are at the end of 3rd quarter and we have another quarter to go. At the best he can bring it up to a C. The low score in the AP course is definitely because of the learning gaps due to Covid Schooling.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Course he is having issues is AP Chemistry.

1 Like

That is a tough course and post Covid with gaps in math and most likely high school Chemistry done online or with limited labs it has is proving even harder for many kids.

They can cover the grad in essays, supplemental writing, etc…that they persevered and learned about how to ask for help. Some academically gifted kids do not have this experience until college. He will be more prepared for college because of this experience and know to get help earlier.

I would be careful about blaming covid learning gaps. Didn’t the rest of the class have the same experience, and presumably they are not all getting D grades. If he can’t drop the course, he really needs to figure out a way to bring it up to a C at least. The impact on admissions will depend upon the type of colleges he is targeting- schools that more carefully consider each applicant, like LACs, may be more open to explanations.

5 Likes

Fairly good percentage of kids are having issues with AP chemistry in his class.

1 Like

Understood. But surely the class median grade is not a D. Other kids are figuring out a work around. He needs to as well.

2 Likes

in a word - yes

but it really depends on where he wants to go to school, the rest of his stats and your budget.

1 Like

The OP stated the child is at a governors school which typically pulls from schools all over a state. School districts and private schools had so many different paths and experiences during the past two years that. Chem AP in Junior year after varied experiences (Covid related or not) in 9th and 10th will result in different outcomes.

It sounds like the student is only struggling in one class and will learn from the experience. It sounds like others are struggling as well.

If it is a new school for the student and he was unprepared when entering, the guidance counselor will explain that. That was not my impression from the post, but perhaps. Regardless, late 3rd quarter is not a good time to realize there is a problem.
AP chem is a hard course. I assume the class is graded on a bell curve. If everyone is failing ( unlikely), that would be different

2 Likes

I feel like if his intended major is completely unrelated to chemistry, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. But definitely agree with above posters to prioritize pulling it up to a C!