Can an OS student get residency after a year?

Hi–Is AZ one of those states that allows students to become a resident and pay in-state tuition after living there a year? Thank you!

The two states that do that even if you’re enrolled on college are Missouri and Utah.
Will you be working full time there for a year and self supporting?

No–just a college kid. I guess I was being hopeful for my daughter. Years ago I was easily able to do this in Florida.

Mizzou has had a 30% drop in enrolment. They are desperate for students. What is your home state? The University of Maine offers a lower OOS tuition to applicants from certain states.

No, that’s not possible.
Beside Utah and Missouri, the only options are

• lenient state: kid moves there right after HS graduation, works full time for a year, can show is self supporting - can apply as instate freshman.
  • more stringent state (ex: California): student cannot be considered instate no matter what, only parents’ residency counts.
    Some Universities have special programs : for example, FSU offers OOS students instate tuition year 2-4 if they start in a freshman abroad program full pay. So, you pay 40k upfront, then you have three years with tuition at 7k.

I was looking at AZ in particular because of their SALT program. I think Iowa and CT are the only states that have something close, so those would be the states I’d need. Thanks for the help. The FSU abroad sounds great for the right kid.

I am researching FSU right now, and I believe there is aid available for that program. As @MYOS1634 said, it’s $40k upfront, which is way too much for the financially needy folks who are actively seeking in-state tuition for OOS students.

Not sure if this is applicable for you and your child, but the U of Arizona has a generous merit package for OOS students. With high GPA and test scores, it can cover the full OOS tuition.

Check out the Arizona Excellence Awards:

http://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-aid/scholarships/2018-2019-terms-and-conditions

FSU also offers an OOS tuition waiver based on test scores and GPA - probably better option than the year abroad for those that qualify. Believe last year it required a 30 ACT (superscored) so really pretty attainable - this year TBD.