Can I consider myself African American?

<p>My father is from Egypt and since Egypt is in Africa, can I mark on college applications that I'm African American? What do you think?</p>

<p>No way. Egypt is Middle East. You’re white.</p>

<p>And you know you’re not when you have to ask.</p>

<p>^
I agree</p>

<p>end thread/</p>

<p>No, use your moral judgement</p>

<p>Yeah, and Iraq and Afghanistan are in Asia. Doesn’t make people native to them Asian. They’re of Middle Eastern descent. So are Egyptians.</p>

<p>On the CommonApp: “Caucasian (including Middle Eastern)”</p>

<p>Applications don’t ask for your nationality (which would be African). </p>

<p>“African” as asked on college applicants and ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS are talking about RACE/ETHNICITY.</p>

<p>Okay…I’m going to say this one more time. LOOK AT A MAP. EGYPT IS PART OF AFRICA. IT IS LOCATED IN NORTH AFRICA ALONG WITH OTHER MIDDLE EASTERNERS SUCH AS MOROCCO AND ALGERIA.</p>

<p>Wikipedia says Egypt is in the Middle East.</p>

<p>My 1st grade teacher taught me Egypt was in the Middle East.</p>

<p>Okay, well obviously both you and your 1st grade teacher are CLEARLY misinformed. Go look at a map. And cellist ---- do you trust everything Wiki says? I certainly hope not.
<a href=“http://www.africaguide.com/images/africa_map.gif[/url]”>http://www.africaguide.com/images/africa_map.gif&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Do you see that picture of Africa? EGYPT IS ACTUALLY INCLUDED. WOWWWWW! It must mean something!!! Do you see Jordan or Israel in it? NO. BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT IN AFRICA YET EGYPT IS. HELLO?</p>

<p>Wiki is actually my goddess. I make burnt offerings of non-collaborative print materials for Her every morning. How dare you use Her name in vain.</p>

<p>Since you’re so good at viewing maps, what continent is Jordan on, lifeofsolitude?</p>

<p>Asia. You know what…I’m not going to waste my time w/ a bunch of brainless people…this is absolutely pointless! Goodbye. Learn your geography, maybe it might make you sound a tad more intelligent.</p>

<p>So people from Jordan, which is located in Asia, are considered to be of the Asian race? Is that what you’re saying?</p>

<p>do you consider yourself black? Have you ever been treated like a black person? Its disgusting when people lie about there heritage, just to get into a university</p>

<p>P.S. Why did you post this thread, when you wont take anybodys advice.</p>

<p>I understand that Egypt is African but it is also a part of the Middle East and since the CommonApp says White (Including Middle Eastern) you would be lying if you did not check that off.</p>

<p>First of all, you’re not black. Second of all, this could have easily been Googled, like what everyone else did.</p>

<p>It really confuses me when people ask this, especially at this age. The answer is also usually no too… funny…</p>

<p>

Another vote for race/heritage helps you get into universities. Is it disgusting when people do use their race/heritage to get into a university?</p>

<p>DUDE. YOU ARE NOT BLACK. YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT BLACK. IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, YOU ARE NOT. YES, EGYPT IS IN AFRICA BUT EGYPTIANS ARE CONSIDERED MIDDLE EASTERN AND YOU <em>KNOW</em> THAT. </p>

<p>/end caps</p>

<p>[Middle</a> East Map, Map of Middle East, Turkey, Iraq, Dubai Map - Worldatlas.com](<a href=“http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/me.htm]Middle”>Middle East Map / Map of the Middle East - Facts, Geography, History of the Middle East - Worldatlas.com)
middle east is just east Asia</p>