Can I decline Questbridge automatically submitting RD applications when I do not match?

Hello,

I was convinced to apply for the Questbridge program despite some reservations about it, partially its limit of 5 activities (and Georgetown being my top school after Princeton). Nonetheless, I figured that it is worth a shot, as it doesn’t matter if I get in anywhere if I can’t afford it (EFC of 0, although combined income of roughly $45,000 when non-custodial parent is factored in).

My plan was to rank through the Match, and in the probable advent that I do not match, apply to most of my match ranked schools (particularly Princeton, Brown, Notre Dame, and Amherst) during regular decision with the Common App. However, I have found that Questbridge automatically submits an RD application in lieu of a match to the schools one has ranked for the match. Is there any way to turn this down? As if I’m rejected early with the match application, I would rather shoot my shot for the second time with the CommonApp.

Thank you.

Why would you want to withdraw your application for RD? There is no downside in applying through Questbridge, quite the opposite.

My daughter was a Questbridge Match recipient, so I am very familiar with the programs.

8 Likes

You will have a better chance through questbridge than through the common app. And you may well match - you don’t know you won’t. If you’re concerned about the extra activities you can send an update to your admissions officer for RD. But Questbridge knows what it’s doing and if they say five is sufficient it probably is (remember you can combine like things - eg my daughter put all her afterschool/summer jobs on one line instead of separating them except the one that was clearly different/important).

8 Likes

I am confused about this comment. With an income of $45K, EFC of $0, and the fact that you are applying to needs-met schools, you would pay nothing even without Questbridge.

What, then, are your motivations for applying through Questbridge since they really wouldn’t be financial, and why do you feel those advantages go away with RD?

A number of QB partner schools give more generous FA packages to QB students than they give to non-QB accepted students.

I didn’t know this was the case, do you have a source for this? Is this for non-finalists? Unmatched finalists?

For non-finalists, you have to look at each school’s directions for applying RD:
https://www.questbridge.org/high-school-students/national-college-match/non-finalists

If you are an unmatched finalist, you also have to follow each school’s directions for applying in RD (some will still let you apply ED and/or EA too):
https://www.questbridge.org/high-school-students/regular-decision

I also don’t see the downside to QB. I promise you it’s extremely unlikely the admissions decision will come down to your Activities 6-10. Many schools will let you upload a resume in the portal, so do that where you can.

I agree it’s unlikely you will match without an EFC 0, but it’s still worthwhile to try and become a finalist. Nearly 40% of unmatched finalists are admitted to QB partner schools each year.

7 Likes

It seems the OP believes that the Common App would represent him or her more favorably than the RD applications through QuestBridge would.

1 Like

The OP would lose the advantage that Questbridge would give them. I think going the common app route would be a mistake, imo.

5 Likes

Looking at my Questbridge application, I feel like I come off as a weaker applicant than I do on my CommonApp. Less of my activities are listed, and my essay is probably a bit less compelling relative to the Questbridge pool than the overall applicant pool.

Even with the combining (which makes the limited space all that more apparent), it doesn’t seem to present a full picture. How tenuous can combinations be?

Questbridge Matches come without loans. My financial packages from Rice, Princeton, etc. would anyways, but schools such as Claremont McKenna or Colorado College would meet 100% of need in a package including loans. Also, as they use the CSS profile rather than FAFSA, they would be using the $45,000 as my income rather than the $14,000 my custodial parent makes, so even some ostensibly fully need meeting, loan free colleges such as Amherst would expect a larger than possible contribution.

1 Like

The website says that if you do not match early, every school you ranked will automatically receive your application for regular admissions.

I feel like my 5 look worse and lack some of the context they could otherwise have, though.

Do top schools really give Questbridge applicants an advantage? Thinking about Princeton specifically.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I also think my CommonApp is much stronger due to letters of recommendation. I have a stellar recommendation from the mayoral campaign I am interning for, clergy, and possibly the ex-Chair of the County Democratic Party for my volunteering work there.

1 Like

There are not many schools that will accept these LOR, at least not three of them. Some on your list may accept one non-academic LOR, but the academic LOR are their primary interest.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to belabor this point, but can you show me where you see that? For example, here it says the applicant decides where to submit.

https://www.questbridge.org/high-school-students/regular-decision

I am not sure where on the QB website I found it, but, from the Yale website (echoed on other college partner websites): “those who do not match at any partner college will be automatically moved into Yale’s regular decision application pool.”

Princeton accepts three on-academic LORs, no? If I am understanding the CommonApp correctly.

I think what you’re failing to understand is that becoming a Questbridge finalist is itself an impressive achievement and one that colleges value. They don’t care about yet another letter of rec that adds nothing new that the other three letters haven’t already said or about your 9th most important activity.

10 Likes

Princeton requires three academic recommendations. None of the three you mentioned is an academic recommendation.

They do not mention accepting any non-academic, optional letters.

I agree with with @Juno16. You seem to be missing that being a Questbridge scholar in and of itself carries weight. Colleges take for granted that you have already been vetted by Questbridge. You don’t get that benefit of the doubt without it.

2 Likes

From the Common App’s Princeton page for their optional reccomenders:

Recommender types accepted by this college:

• Arts Teacher
  • Clergy
  • Coach
  • College Access Counselor
  • Employer
  • Family Member
  • Peer
  • Other