Can I get in? For Mechanical engineering?

Hello. I just found out about these links

https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/recruitment
https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/recruitment/admissions

So even if we get admitted to the school, we are still gonna be competing for admissions into engineering? because I don’t think I would survive a hostile review.

I can only afford to apply to a few schools, and I don’t know if I should still apply here. Now I don’t know if I should even try to apply anymore because my goal to was to get Academic Admissions and turn in my application really early to save me a spot in general engineering. But now that I can’t be a real auto-admit I don’t know what to do. My grades aren’t the best, I can’t join any more clubs, or compete in any more contest, or … do anything else to pad my application. Becuase I fall below the stats of the average tamu engineers. So I guess this is my last “chance me” for Texas A & M. Do you guys think I will survive a hostile review?

My Stats
OLD SAT 1300 (m 600 and cr 600)
New SAT (Predicted) (650m 650cr)
Goal - ACT 30 (m27 and cr27)
PSAT – 1270 (600m, 670cr &w)
GPA – 3.22 w, 3.68uw (I’m bringing up a low freshman GPA)
Class rank: 176/702(Will improve) (magnet school)

My classes

• (H/DC) Pre Calc
  • (AP) Physics 1
    -( AP) English Lang
  • (AP/DC) US HIStory
  • (IB) Computer Science 1
  • (IB) Film 3
  • ® Color Guard
  • (H) Academic Decathlon 3

My Clubs
Church youth group – founder / president (2010-present) and 1500 hours of community service
Academic Decathlon – President and winner in math, science, music, and economics (2013(or 2011 if you count lone star) -present)
Book Club – President (2014-present)
Film making society – Officer and music composer (2014 – present)
Color Guard / Winter guard – (2014 (Composer) and 2015(member) – present)
Technology Student Association (structural design) (2014-present) (State champion 2015)

Thanks in advance. BTW I’m a junior.

bump

The main thing you need to focus on is improving your class rank. Your stats look good. All incoming freshman are considered “general engineering students”. You will spend your first year doing that curriculum and will do entry to a major after your second semester. At that time is when you will find out if you get into your major of choice. No one is guaranteed their engineering major as a freshman regardless of what your admitted status is at time of being admitted to the university. You are guaranteed your first choice of major if you have at least a 3.5 or better after you complete your first year. To give yourself the best chance would be to be admitted to Dwight Look College of Engineering either for College Station or Galveston. Those 2 admitted are considered full admits to the university engineering program. The other options is being admitted to BLINN Engineering Academy Bryan.

Being admitted through those options will give you the best chance at being an Aggie Engineer. Texas A&M has alot of high qualified applicants and because they are going to a full holistic review starting next year, chances will be better for someone that isn’t an automatic admit through top 10 percent or academic admit. Up till this year, most of the engineering spots for Freshmen were filled up with top 10 percent and academic auto admits to the university. That left very little spots open for holistic review students.

The way I see it, you should definitely apply. You have more paths to get into the Engineering program than you would at the other elite engineering schools in the country. It will still be competitive than if you were applying to UT Austin, Georgia Tech or UIUC. Just focus on the task and continue to work hard and improve. Also make sure you submit a complete application when it comes time with letter of recommendations and take your time and write a good thoughtful essay. Good Luck on your journey and hope to see you admitted when the time comes

BTW on my OLD SAT stats, it should say 650 and 650

@aggiedaughterENG
I can try hard when I get there, but my main concern is being admitted to Dwight itself. Because if its gonna be competitive then it seems like I will be up against much more qualified students like top 10%ers with better stats.

I know for a fact I will land in top 20% or higher at the end of this semester if that helps. With that being said, do i have a good chance at admissions? Because on College Data my stats are below the average TAMU student. And
because my parents can only apply to a limited number of schools for me and I don’t want to apply somewhere where I have an unlikely chance of admissions. (Even though I really really really want to be an aggie, I’m trying to be a bit practical)

I also think you should apply. Your priorities should be to make sure your rank is in top quarter so that you are an academic admit. Your test scores already qualify you for admission. One option is to maximize your scores. Look carefully at how to describe extracurriculars that relate to your intended major.

Texas A&M makes lots of data available here:

http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student#AdmissionsandPlacement

Here is sat and act data by ranked college and quarter (data for 2014 because 2015 data not divided by quarters):

http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/F14-Norm-Book.aspx

So a 1300 is above the median. This data is more complete than the site you mentioned.

Finally, spend a lot of time on your essays as that might be the determining factor.

Thank you @bluemoon3 I didn’t see that the stats were different for each college in the university. :slight_smile: I Guess their is no harm in applying after all! thank you!

My son’s school doesn’t rank, but he only had a weighted GPA of 94 which really only would have put him in the top half. He had 12 AP classes and a 31 ACT, also 4 years of robotics and 2 years with an innovation club. My oldest 2 kids did better on the ACT than the SAT, so give it a try.

I’m also quite worried about this new thing where they don’t guarantee your major, but he didn’t get into UT, so hoping it works out OK for him.