can i get in?

<p>I'm currently a junior at Wilson SHS, in Washington DC, and I've finally come to the point where I realize that all the slacking I've done, is about to do me in. My grades sucks. There is no way around it. My grades are low. Not because I can't handle the work, but because I chose not to do a lot of it. Although I know it's way too late, and I put myself in this position, I need a little guidance. My GPA after my junior year, will be a cummalitive 2.5. I'm currently taking two AP courses, and at the end of the year, they should read, AP English-B & AP US History-D. Although my grades are bad, I do have my bright spots. I'm an All-Star member of the debate team. I have tons of awards, and statewide recognition. I'm an African American student (Aff. Action?), that attends a great public high school. I have a few widely known teachers that can write very good recommendations for me. My community service hours aren't great, but they're at a steady 150. And my SAT scores are coming in soon, but I think they're pretty good.</p>

<p>I want to major in journalism/communication to become something in the sports field (sports writer, agent, manager, commentator). Do I have a shot at University of Wisconsin-Madison? If not, where should I be looking?</p>

<p>With a 2.5 GPA it will be difficult.</p>

<p>It will be awfully difficult, unless you have great test scores. 30-36 ACT = 30% chance. 28-29 = 20% chance. 26-27 = 10% chance. All of those are in the non-admit category.</p>

<p>Don't listen to that little chart they give you its completely inaccurate. According to that chart my chances of gettin in were 20%. So either I am awfully lucky or it's very wrong. They evalutate each school's difficulty so depending on your schools average gpa (I know ours is a 2.8-3.1 = median GPA), they will take that into consideration. Although a 2.5 seems low for any school, your test scores might be able to make up for it. And definately explain your grades to them in the personal statement. I explained why I had C's in foreign language and I think that helped.</p>

<p>Also check out Indiana - Bloomington, and Syracuse...Both have great journalism / communications departments.</p>

<p>If I were you, I'd apply as early as possible (late August). Also, make sure your first semester senior year grades are phenomenal because you will probably get deferred.</p>

<p>your out of state? forget it.</p>

<p>guapocarlos - You had a much higher GPA than the above applicant, and still, you were postponed, not initially admitted. There was more hope for an applicant like you.</p>

<p>It's good you've realized that you need to work harder in school. Although I don't think you'll be able to get in initially, keep in mind you can always transfer after your first year. Madison is actually a big transfer school here in wisconsin.... at least, for wisconsinites. Not exactly sure about transfering from out of state...</p>

<p>I'm guessing no considering I wasn't accepted but you could try to transfer from another campus like LaCrosse (which might still be a reach) or Eau Claire.</p>

<p>Why did you take AP's if you were getting D's in them?</p>