Can I Get In?

<p>GPA: 3.06 (unweighted)
SAT: 1600 (out of 2400), retaking this and the ACT tho
Vice President of Black Affinity Group
Race Day Facilitator (07-08), Speaker
Member of Cooking Club, RAD (Race Discussion Group), SADD, Spanish Club (2006-2007)
Co-Captain of Track & Field (2006-2007), participant of it since 7th grade
Did Orchestra from 3rd grade to 10th grade, Chorus 11th-12th
Participant of school-run musicals as well as the student run "Grease" coming this fall
Participated in the Literary Magazine Group for my school for a year and contributed to the magazine with poetry</p>

<p>Community Serivce: Teen Leaders of America, worked @ Manna Food Bank & Blue Ridge Mountains in Asheville, NC; installed composting system in Asheville School in Asheville,NC; and working with children @ the Frazer Center (center for kids, normal and autistic)</p>

<p>Expecting to have taken either over 5 honors and 1 AP or over 5 honors and 2 APs give or my senior schedule</p>

<p>Job: Summer Camp Counselor @ my school
Resident of Atlanta, GA
African-American student
and I attend one of the best private schools in the nation</p>

<p>Extremely poor chance by the numbers per the UW freshman expectations chart. With the grades and test scores you give you most likely would struggle to survive the rigor of the courses in comparison to most UW students. Look at colleges where you fall in the midranges of stats for a better fit. Getting the benefit of "...best private..." you should be performing better to be competitive at top schools.</p>

<p>well, it's not an easy feat. with the title comes alot of rigor in itself. it's not easy to get a 4.0 there.
i was told by a counselor to put it on my lists because a few students, one even having less than a 3.0 were admitted.</p>

<p>The grades I get. My school was very hard. They would forgive that in my opinion if they knew the rigor of ur school and you had higher test scores. Right now, your test scores seem to fit your GPA. If you can get ur ACTs like 31+ or your SATs 2000+ then you have a better shot</p>

<p>Agree with the above comment. </p>

<p>You don't know what the test scores of that poor gpa student were- they could have high test scores and didn't bother to to do the work required to get the better grades, or they could have vastly improving grades showing they can do the work by getting A's as a junior and senior to offset poor freshman/sophomore grades. It's too late to prove your knowledge with more AP tests before applying, having several 4s and 5s on them would make honors courses seem more noteworthy. Your OOS HS may have a good reputation where you live, but UW probably knows little about it and won't know how rigorous the honors courses are, your class rank will tell them something about you if A's are uncommon at your school.</p>

<p>You can apply to UW, with rollling admissions you can apply sometime in Sept and may get a quick answer. Definitely have some match and safety schools to apply to. In the event you do get accepted to UW and choose to go there be prepared to work a lot harder than you did in HS to get good grades. UW has been becoming more and more competitive in recent years- a bulge in the HS population and no extra room.</p>

<p>I think you have a very good chance. UW is STRONGLY recruiting AA students. The admissions rate for AA kids with your stats is around 75-80%</p>

<p>Check out this study.</p>

<p><a href="http://apa.wisc.edu/Diversity/2008_Pipeline_Update.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://apa.wisc.edu/Diversity/2008_Pipeline_Update.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You still need to be well prepared. It does you no good to come and susequently flunk your classes. Be sure you want to come to the cold winters, welcome if you're willing to- it's a great school.</p>

<p>thanks for your input, guys. :) and i will definitely try to beef up my GPA and test scores as much as i can in this last year!</p>

<p>Do you go to Westminster?</p>

<p>Wis75, why do you say "Your OOS HS may have a good reputation where you live, but UW probably knows little about it and won't know how rigorous the honors courses are, your class rank will tell them something about you if A's are uncommon at your school." </p>

<p>You're not giving UW much credit if you think they don't know which the top private schools (and public for that matter) are around the country and what the academic rigor is at those schools. I don't agree with that statement at all and wonder why you would say such a thing?</p>

<p>Happyface, my son had almost identical stats, with 3 AP's in senior year. His school is one of the most well known private schools in the nation for their tough academics, etc. as well, and my son got in with far less EC's than you. </p>

<p>So re-take your ACT and send in your application right when they start accepting them next month. I think you'd have a very good shot. Good Luck!</p>

<p>yes because you're black (not being racist just stating fact).</p>

<p>All colleges are not going to know about all high schools, it isn't worth the time and effort (cost) to be familiar with all high schools, especially those out of a college's region where they are unlikely to get applicants from. The admissions people probably have to check up on the school to know its qualifications. A student may think their school is a top school, but it may not be considered such by others, and therefore not be known- I was avoiding this issue. UW seems to place more emphasis on the numbers than the school attended- if a school is better the student is expected to take advantage of its offerings by having excellent numbers (eg high test scores if a B at their school would be an A elsewhere and means as much learned) and no extra points for which HS attended. Therefore, aside from being an underrepresented minority, this student's chances are very poor based on the numbers presented. BTW- there is still a chance to get in even if the chance is 1% per the chart, all of the other factors may tip the balance.</p>

<p>If Happyface attends one of the top private schools in the nation, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he knows (since he attends there) of its reputation as just that. Not only does it matter to UW what a school's record and reputation of academic rigor is, but with top private school's in the nation, they have a relationship history so to speak with UW and Adcom knows about those top schools. I just wouldn't be so negative right off the bat. I think a 3.6 with highly rigorous academics, along with the full load of EC's and leadership experience puts HF in a good position for acceptance - AA or not. I also think he probably knows how to handle an academic load now, having attended such a school. I'm only jumping in here because you seemed to be a little too pessimistic for his situation.</p>

<p>OP posted a gpa of 3.06, not 3.6- a vast difference and reason for concerns.</p>

<p>You're right, I read too fast and misread the GPA - I stand corrected. I would still apply though, given HF's information, EC's and stats and the link Barrons provided.</p>

<p>oh, by the wis75, i don't really see how me getting a 3.06 at a private prep school (btw, whoever asked i go to paideia not westminister) will set me up for failing at UW. i've been told from my friends who are alum of my school that their work is equivalent to what they had in our school and time management they learned so long ago was really helpful.</p>

<p>not trying to say "oh i'll get into wisconsin, i'll get a 4.0" etc., but just wondering. but thanks for everyone's input! :)</p>

<p>You are a setup for failure regardless of which school you attended or what grades you got if you don't know how to study. Wherever you end up don't expect your HS's reputation to mean college will be easier for you than for the other students. The low test scores make the 3.0 average seem comparable to others at less elite schools.</p>

<p>i'm not expecting it to be easy just because of my reputation. like i've stated before, the work in my school is equivalent to what many of its alum face in school. it has nothing to do with reputation. also, i don't think it's fair to say i'm going to fail no matter what.</p>

<p>Remember that not all colleges are the same. Some are at the AP level, many, including UW, are more rigorous (eg, a 5 in AP calc doesn't mean you learned as much calc as was taught in the UW version). Those who have ability but underestimate the work required are at risk for failure. Some people come into college thinking they will do well because of their good HS and learn that the good colleges are up another notch from their HS and don't put in the extra work required. Anyone who emphasizes the eliteness of their HS is at risk for underestimating colleges. This is a warning, not a prediction.</p>