Can I get into Texas A&M?

Hi I’m a senior at a large and highly competitive high school in Texas. I’m looking at applying to Texas A&M next year, but I’m really worried I won’t get in because of the auto admitting rules. I am currently in the top 20%, I have an SAT score of 690 on reading and writing and a 630 on math, and I got a 29 on my ACT with a reading score of 36 and a math score of 25 (I need to raise this). I am part of NHS and Science NHS along with many other clubs, I have taken a handful of AP courses and dual credit courses. I have also played volleyball since 6th grade, but I don’t plan on playing in college. I also played three sports in high school. I am hoping to get my ACT score up to a 30 on the next test. I am also African American and come from a poor socioeconomic background. What are my chances of getting in?

Your stats are well within the margins to be a competitive applicant. I’d be surprised if you didn’t get in. Be sure to apply to some other schools just in case. Getting in is one thing. Getting the major you want is something very different at A&M. Business, engineering, computers, etc are very competitive and most are chosen as auto-admit freshmen. This means if you don’t get in to an employable major now, you would be unlikely to get in later, and you’d be stuck in a liberal arts degree. Keep that in mind.

University of Houston, Texas Tech, Texas State, etc have more flexible admission policies that are more fair to students.