Can I get into the UCs with a D I got in freshmen year?

So I am in my senior year, prepping my UC apps. I am planning on applying to all of the UC’s in SoCal as it is closer to me (I live in SoCal). I am planning on applying to UCSD, UCSB, UCSC, and UCR (UCLA is an obvious no). I’m most likely going to UCR as it is much closer to me. But the one thing that bothers my is one grade I received in my freshmen year.
I was not a bright student in freshmen year. I screwed around a lot and didn’t pay attention in class. So in the first semester of freshmen year, I got a D in math. I did a bit better but not much the next semester by getting a C.

I decided to do much better and started getting all A’s beginning my sophomore year. So far my 10-12 GPA is a 4.3 weighted while my 9-12 GPA is a 3.8 weighted. My schedule consists of 6 classes, half AP/IB while the rest are CP plus my health academy class. I have a 1200 SAT score (620 R/ 580 M), while the average at my school is around 1140. I volunteer a lot by interning at my local animal shelter and hospital. I have also been helping out with a political campaign for a progressive candidate since june for the upcoming midterms. I hold many officer positions for different clubs and active in my community through volunteer work.

I have talked to my counselor many times if I should retake the class, but she told me that since I got a C in the second semester and that I have a strong upward trend on my transcripts, she said that retaking the class was a waste of my time; adding that a better grade in the second semester validates that D in the UC system. Due to that D, I place 50/354 in my class (~15%). To give you an idea, I want to pursue a career in the veterinary field.

Sorry if this was a bit long, But do I even stand a chance applying to the UC’s?

Thanks for all of the reposes in advance.

UC’s have grade validation for D’s and F’s in Math, meaning if you complete the 2nd semester with a C or higher, it validates that D or if you complete a higher level of Math, then it also validates that D.

UC’s do not use 9th grades in their GPA calculation although you do have to report the grade, you are fine in meeting the a-g course requirements.

You need to calculate your UC GPA and post your Capped weighted UC GPA, UW UC GPA and Fully weighted UC GPA to give you an idea of your chances. A capped weighted UC GPA below 4.0 will be a tough admit at all the UC’s except UCR/UCM and UCSC.

Also you need to bump up your test scores to be competitive for any of the Mid-tier and Top Tier UC’s. Some statistical data to help target some realistic schools.

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and major specific:

UCB: 12.6%
UCLA: 11.7%
UCSD: 38.7%
UCSB: 53.6%
UCD: 56.5%
UCI: 52.1%
UCSC: 75.7%
UCR: 90.1%
UCM: 96.1%

25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1360-1540

UCLA: 1340-1540
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1270-1500
UCD: 1220-1480
UCI: 1230-1490
UCSC: 1210-1450
UCR: 1130-1380
UCM: 1020-1280

As for SAT scores, it seems that my school isn’t that competitive. Many students last year who were in the 1200-1290 range went on to UCB and USC. If I get around 1300+, then that will make me look great compared to students at my school.