Can I get into the University of Miami?

I have a 3.8 unweighted gpa, 4.2 weighted gpa, 1200 on the SAT, participate in varsity scholastic bowl, varsity tennis, mathletes, 100 hours of community service with my local church, am in the top 4 percent of my class, I took 11 AP classes and others being honors courses.

You have a good GPA and some great ECs. Class difficulty levels and your rank are both excellent. The only iffy bit would be your SAT score.

Miami’s average is between a 1280 and 1360. Given your rank, class difficulty and the like I would say you have an average chance of getting in weighted with SAT scores.

I’d recommend applying EA/ED to assist your chances. With that I’d say your chances are just fine, best of luck!

Your stats look pretty nice. I would definitely retake the SAT though. Other than that your chances look really good.

But is my test score really going to affect my chances that much, even though my coursework is so rigorous and I’m this much involved in extracurricular activities.

As a reply to your last comment, most of the students accepted take about 9 AP classes so everyone’s rigor is high. I had similar stats to you except my gpa was like .1 lower and I had a 35 ACT and got no money off. Miami’s a difficult school so definitely get that sat/act up if you want a good chance to get in

I’m starting the application process and schools care the most about test scores, grades and gpa/class rank.

Depending on the school (for instance William and Mary) the scores will be of equal importance to other factors like character and such.

EC and difficulty of classes are important but those are really just how colleges decide between candidates they’ve chosen based on academic merit.

If you’ve only taken the SAT one or two times, I’d definitely recommend trying again! It doesn’t hurt! Not to mention University of Miami will use your Superscore (the combo of your highest English and Math section scores) and use that as your official score, so if you nailed one section or the other, you only need to work on improving the other!

Best of luck!

@classof18student are you attending UM next year?

Definitely agree with all commenters that you should take the SAT again. The competition was very tough this year, some applicants with 1400’s on SAT did not even get in, and I would bet they had plenty of ECs and APs. IMO 1200 puts you at a disadvantage, so try to get that number up

Hello, I might be late on this thread but do not apply ED if you are in need of financial aid. Schools do not really get too splendid with the applicants since they’re stuck with their decision. I would definitely apply EA but never ED. Best of luck and go Canes!

Hi! This is really for people who are applying for the 2024 class. I thought this may be helpful since I would have liked this while looking around…

I was accepted into UM today!
Stats: (for people who want to compare)
GPA: 4.13
ACT: 30
I have taken 10 AP Classes and a lot of honors courses in high school.
My essays were good.
I started my own charity with a friend and we raised over $70,000 in the past two years
NHS President, Peer Counseling, Honor Council VP, Prom Committee (other clubs etc)
Varsity Dance Team 3 years
Congressional Awards

You can definitely do it! This school was a reach for me but it worked out!