Can I send an appeal letter to the schools that I got waitlisted

I got waitlisted from one of my dream schools, ucsd, and was wondering if I can send a continued interest letter.
There was no additional comment section on the waitlist option website. And ucsd also wrote to not send any appeals since they won’t review them.
Should I still send a letter to their email just in case?

1 Like

If they explicitly told students not to send appeals, then you should not send an appeal.

7 Likes

You cannot appeal while on the waitlist or send any documentation including an LOCI to UCSD. All UC’s do not consider an applicants level of interest in their application review.

5 Likes

Sure if you want to be put in the no chance bucket. Learn to follow instructions. If they tell you not to do something, then why would you do it?

Surely when you are WL they will have specifics on what they want you to do to let them know yiu want to stay on it.

Do that.

Then forget about them.

And focus on UCR and Chapman, two fine schools.

Good luck.

10 Likes

There’s your answer

7 Likes

I have a neighbor/friend who is in admissions at UCSD. When they tell you: DO NOT SEND ANY APPEALS SINCE THEY WONT REVIEW THEM, then that is what you need to do. Listen and follow directions.

My friend told me they get so much “stuff” that they don’t have anywhere to put it all. They get: bound portfolios, Award Certificates, ribbons, sports trophies, verbose emails, letters pleading with them to be admitted, art deco, designs, graded papers, etc. They can’t store it and most students want these back! The staff does not have time to go through any personal items. They are busy preparing for incoming students.

The advice from @tsbna44 is spot on-“If you want to be put in the no chance bucket” for not following directions, then do what you feel you should do. I would strongly advise against it.

I guess you should not have applied to UCR and Chapman, since it appears that you are not happy with those choices and are trying to, come heck or high water, get into the schools that don’t have room for you.

Edited to Add: She also mentioned that they “may recall” the names of students who couldn’t follow directions and continued to send items that weren’t requested. She “implied” that it is NOT a positive outcome.

5 Likes

Does anyone by chance know how they pull from the waitlist? Are the waitlisted applicants ranked? Meaning, what is the process for determining which student gets off the waitlist first?

To fill institutional need. If they need a female oboist, that’s who they pull.

6 Likes

Remember, you got into Chapman and UCR - and they are both great. Fall in love with one - or find another if you are unhappy such as Arizona - which has an excellent B school in Eller and top auto merit aid.

btw - you mentioned business - you know who has a B school? UCR, Chapman.

I mention this because in the last common data set for UCSD - they offered the WL to 25,419 kids. Think about that - nearly a quarter of applicants - and more than a third - 8,835 accepted a spot.

The amount admitted - zero. Not a single student per the 2021/22 CDS.

Not trying to be a downer to you - but you are just setting yourself up for continued disappointment. Fall in love with where you’re in, have a great experience, and come out with a great position!!

If you keep your name on, it’s fine - but then forget the school. Find a roommate, housing, etc. at wherever you are going to attend. If you like neither, find another school - there’ still time - and lots of great options.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I suspect it’s both institutional need (ie the female oboist example) and perhaps less so in the event there’s an unexpected low yield in a particular department/major. My DD was waitlisted at UCSD. Her major was Mathematics-Economics. I don’t think she has the “female oboist” hook or anything like that, but her hope (if she chooses to opt into the waitlist) might be that, say, the direct admits to her major also got offers from UCLA or Yale that they will choose instead, or that some OOS admits realize there is very little to none need based or merit based aid for OOS and then opt for another school. But at that point–I don’t know how my DD would be chosen from the other Math-Econ waitlisted students, without a LOCI. It’s too bad UCSD has no LOCI. This year UCLA does.

UCLA and UCB are the only 2 UC’s left that allow for a waitlist statement. Up until this year UC Davis also had a waitlist statement.

@Cold_Chicken, if I’m not mistaken, you were asking previously asking about financial aid in another post?

Make sure that you can afford to go to the UC schools that you’ve chosen. It’s not free and they’ve gotten really expensive. I realize that you’re a resident of California so you will already be receiving instate tuition.

However, if you’re relying on the full federal PELL Grant ($7400), it won’t begin cover the the full cost of attendance without work study, loans, and university grants (average cost of attendance is now ~$39k tuition with RB).

Most in-state students are given a heads up by their high schools and counselors about Cal Grants. The deadlines for CalGrants already passed on March 2nd. UCs are public universities and some just don’t have those extra university dollars to give to students.

Ask your parents how much they can afford to give you for school.
Chapman is a private university and they may be able to fund your full university costs if you qualify. You should have a portal at Chapman where you can look up your financial aid dollars.

I know that you’re pining for UCSD, but it is in La Jolla, and they don’t guarantee housing after freshman year. They can’t keep up with the housing demand and are building more dorms. Because they’re in La Jolla, where the land is very expensive, that translates to expensive housing costs for you, if you have to live off-campus, in San Diego with the local high rents.

Riverside is inland and isn’t as expensive as La Jolla if you have to live off campus after the second year.

You need to have these conversations with your parents. You also need to know that the housing goes quickly at the UCs, so the housing deposit needs to be paid.

It’s not just a matter of where you will go to school it’s a matter of where you will live when you’re at that school. You got into UCR and Chapman. Chapman may fully fund your university costs. They have the money to do that. The UCs don’t.
You need to find out what they are going to pay for your education there.

1 Like

One applicants backup/safety college is another’s dream college. Bloom were planted and you have 2 good in-state option.

Embrace either school, utilize the resources available to you and you will be successful.

3 Likes