Can I still apply to pomfret past the admission deadline?

I unfortunately discovered pomfret school recently and with the application deadline looming I’m not sure if I will be able to get e able to get all the required materials in time. Would I be able to complete and submit my application past the deadline?

1 Like

My daughter applied to Pomfret this year! It seems to be a great school. On their virtual open house today, they said that they cannot guarantee that applications submitted after 1/15 will be given full consideration before March 10. They said that you can still submit, but it is likely that you will be evaluated after they have made their first round of decisions.

If you have made any sort of connection with them (interviewed, toured, etc), I would recommend you contact that person and ask if there is any leniency. If you don’t have that connection, I would recommend emailing the admissions main email and explaining which items you can’t get on time and why (and hopefully you have a really good reason) to see if there is anything you can do.

They are on the SAO, so if you have already applied to another SAO school, it should be very easy to just add Pomfret. They don’t have any supplements that are school-specific. So it would be a matter of adding them, paying the fee, and then scheduling an interview if you haven’t already. They DID say they will conduct interviews into February so if that’s the only holdup, you should be okay as long as you get everything else in on time.

1 Like

You need to email Pomfret and ask them directly. Generally I’d advise you to do everything you can to apply on time. That’s your best shot.

2 Likes

I can only speak to last year but yes, they did have spots available past the usual timeframe and I have heard this is the norm. A family we know had decided against private and changed their mind and found their daughter a spot at Pomfret in June or July.

2 Likes

While this can happen at any school (and sometimes for certain students), I would not count on this being the case. It’s just as likely there were no openings for boys (for example).

Hustle to get your app in and if the missed pieces are beyond your control but on the way, reach out to the AO. You’ll do yourself no favors by wait until the deadline has passed to try to find a workaround.

3 Likes

most of the schools I applied to prior were british schools so I don’t have the materials needed by american schools, should I still inquire and book an interview this late?

I would call or email and explain your situation and that this is the only US boarding school to which you are applying so it may take your current school a bit of time to gather needed materials. Pomfret is super kind and will look favorably on you being proactive. I would submit the SAO profile and fees, plus all of your writing and your parents’ writing before the deadline. Contact the school ASAP about the issue with school documents and then set up an interview.

thank you for your help!

@alekm - Were you able to get in touch with them and submit an application? I’ve been thinking about you and wondering if you were able to apply.

Did you decide on a school?

hey sorry for the late response, I lost my details to this account for a while, but I didn’t end up applying.

I got mostly rejections, I’m afraid but I’ve come to peace with them.