Can IB credits be combined with AP credits at UCs?

Hi,

Younger kid is in year 9 and starting the IB. Intends to go whole hog and get IB diploma.

I understand she gets 30 quarter credits transferred in at the UC for doing this. Is that right? Is this regardless of how many SL/HL classes she does?

Also, her school offers AP classes as well. Will doing the AP classes as well as the AP classes get her more credits? Or is it capped at 30 no matter how many IB/AP classes they do.

1 Like

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/ap-exam-credits/ib-credits.html

Below is the general information on the UC website but you also need to check each UC campus policy and major policy since credit can differ.

Here is an IB credit card for USCB specifically:

https://my.sa.ucsb.edu/catalog/current/undergraduateeducation/internationalbaccalaureatecreditchart.aspx

In General, The International Baccalaureate (IB) Organization awards either a diploma or a certificate for individual IB exams. UC awards students who complete the IB diploma with a score of 30 or above with 6 quarter (4 semester) units toward their UC degree, in addition to the units earned for individual Higher Level exams (usually 24 quarter/16 semester units). Students who receive IB certificates with scores of 5, 6 or 7 on Higher Level exams will receive 8 quarter (5.3 semester) units.

Exams may duplicate each other (for example, an AP or IB exam in the same subject area).
If the student does duplicate an exam with another exam of the same subject content, and/or an exam with a college course, we will award credit only once.

Hmm. So only the equivalent of 3 AP classes (24 quarter courses)

College units are different than HS course units so 24 quarter units could be up to 6 quarter length college classes. Much is dependent upon the UC campus and major. UCD and UCLA do not allow IB/AP credit for GE requirements. UCB limits major prep course credit for many of their majors. It is best to check the campus policy at the UC campus they will matriculate in the Fall.

I had one son attend a UC and another a CSU. The CSU was far more generous with their AP/IB credit than the UC.

1 Like

Ah what I meant is that 3 AP classes with scores of 3 will get you 24 quarter course credits (8 each) so the IB Diploma being worth 24 quarter credits is worth about 3 AP classes.

But going to the UC website it says they also get 8 credits for each HL course they score a 5 on. So they could get 40+ quarter credits

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/ap-exam-credits/ib-credits.html

Just as an FYI: Additional units may allow one more choices in electives. My DC entered with quite a few elective credits (more than you mention); it still required the full four years to complete the major(s) chosen. (Actually, would be counted as more than 4 years as they took some summer courses for various reasons.)

The UCs we investigated had detailed course plans for their various majors that helped with the initial decision, and mapping out the four years, including courses offered on an alternate annual (or quarterly) basis.