Can someone explain dept. scholarships?

<p>I have heard references to departmental scholarship awards. And I seem to recall something mentioned in admissions when we visited a year ago. Now that DD is 99% sure she’s going to UA, I’m wondering if there is more generosity to come. She is a biology major and has already received the presidential.</p>

<p>My son knows someone who was asked to apply for a $10,000 biology scholarship. It is only given to OOS students. The student has the Presidential and uses the money to offset dorm fees.</p>

<p>I don’t suppose there are any liberal arts scholarships? (Couldn’t find any at the UA site.)</p>

<p>Here is the link to the Arts and Sciences Scholarship page:</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> and Financial Aid | College of Arts & Sciences](<a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/home/undergraduates/scholarships_and_financial_aid/scholarships_and_financial_aid.php]Scholarships”>http://www.as.ua.edu/home/undergraduates/scholarships_and_financial_aid/scholarships_and_financial_aid.php)</p>

<p>Also, the link below is to the biology program within the Arts and Sciences site:</p>

<p>[Department</a> of Biological Sciences, The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://bsc.ua.edu/site/ugrad.htm]Department”>http://bsc.ua.edu/site/ugrad.htm)</p>

<p>I can’t find a listing of the Departmental Scholarships offered for Arts and Sciences. It looks like when you filled out the initial form for scholarships it would serve for consideration of departmental scholarships. You could email the department and ask when those might be announced.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Lady D,</p>

<p>You might contact the department to inquire regarding possible available departmental scholarships:</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:history@ua.edu”>history@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>I could be wrong…but this is my take on dept scholarships.</p>

<p>Except for engineering, those with Presidential/NMF scholarships usually do not get more dept scholarships…as incoming freshmen. THOSE incoming frosh dept scholarships are usually given to those who got lesser scholarships.</p>

<p>HOWEVER, once a child is a frosh/soph/etc, he can apply for dept scholarships for “enrolled students.” Those scholarships are “up for grabs” by any qualified student of that major.</p>

<p>Sometimes, UFE and CBH give some scholarships to their students who aren’t NMF. Not always, but sometimes.</p>

<p>I can’t find a listing of the Departmental Scholarships offered for Arts and Sciences. It looks like when you filled out the initial form for scholarships it would serve for consideration of departmental scholarships.</p>

<p>True…and I think they are listed by the dept (such as English, History, etc). I don’t think the “College” of A&S has any scholarships offered by the “college” like Engineering does.</p>

<p>Hmm, I seem to recall the admissions guy telling us she would likely be awarded a few extra thousand. Not a deal breaker, just wondering.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Junie…are you sure? Did he say what that would be based on? </p>

<p>Was he talking about if she becomes a UFE or CBHer?</p>

<p>Gee, I don’t remember exactly. At the time, we weren’t even sure which colleges D would apply to. I just recall him saying that she qualified for the presidential and should get another few thousand in departmental scholarship. If I had known she would pick Alabama, I’d have paid closer attention!</p>

<p>I don’t know why he would say that.</p>

<p>the only dept that I know that always gives more money to Presidential Scholars is Engineering.</p>

<p>Was your family talking about engineering as a major at the time?</p>

<p>However, I have heard rumblings of possibly more money being given to hard science majors with high stats. Don’t know if that is going to happen or not…I don’t know if they had to get some rich alumni to underwrite that or what.</p>

<p>I’m sure I have this guy’s business card somewhere in the file. I think I’ll just email him. And the only major D has ever talked about is bio.</p>

<p>Junie…</p>

<p>Yes, do email him and ask him what he was referring to.</p>

<p>Let us know.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>S is entering A&S and majoring in Psychology, the only general thing I saw was a lot of scholarships for Blount. Nothing for Psych and nothing for A&S general.</p>

<p>loring & mom2ck – thank you!!</p>

<p>Lady D,</p>

<p>Does that mean there are history departmental scholarships??? Woo hoo!</p>

<p>Did you find something for history majors?</p>