Can someone explain the process of not direct admit schools?

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this since I’m a rising senior and preparing a list of colleges. So let’s say I apply to a college that is not direct admit (for example UF) what does that mean for me? From what I understood I would not begin nursing classes right away and I would have to compete for a spot for nursing classes my junior year. Is this correct? There’s no one I can go to to ask this and I want to make sure I get this right before I screw up

Thanks in advance

Most colleges in the southeast US are 2-2 programs, while most programs in the northeast are direct entry from high school.

A 2-2 program involves spending 2 years taking prerequsite classes, and then applying in a competitive manner to become a nursing major during the end of your sophomore year. The difficulty of being admitted greatly varies from college to college. Before choosing a 2-2 program, I’d ask for statistics that show how difficult it is to become a nursing major.

At a direct entry program, you normally do not start real nursing classes until your 4th semester. With a 2-2 program, you start in your 5th semester. The curriculum would be similar during your first two years - such as a couple bio classes, a chem class, an anatomy class, a psychology class, a stats class, etc. In many ways, nursing really is a physical science major.

There are quirks in admission for some colleges, so read the fine print closely on their nursing admission websites.

With nursing programs, apply early and often. Apply to multiple colleges not only to increase your chances of admission, but also so you can compare financial aid. If you have very good grades and scores, you may find that a private college offers you aid that is comparable to the cost of a public university.

My daughter did direct admit, but we learned a lot about so-called 2+2 programs. You are admitted pre-nursing, and must fulfill certain requirements/prerequisites before applying to the school’s program. Some schools will have that process at the end of freshman year or sophomore year, leading into clinicals junior year.

Schools will rank candidates on different things, but from what I understand the big thing is GPA specifically science GPA. The school will give a minimum GPA to proceed, but the actual GPAs are usually much higher. There might only be 80 spots but 200 kids in pre-nursing, so the top 80 kids are in. Those GPAs can all be very good, but separated by tenths of a point. I have mentioned the case of a relative who had a 3.85 but didn’t get in during the first round. There might also be some other tests and requirements.

So you could end up in a situation where you spend a year or more at a college, and don’t get into the program of your choice. Some schools give you more than one shot.

If you are in a 2-2 program, I’d recommend also putting in some transfer applications to other colleges for nursing. It will increase your odds. However, it is preferable to attend the same college for 4 years.