Can staying off-campus saves money?

My brother and I have both been accepted into Purdue class of 2022. Room and board per student is listed at $10K/year per student. My brother and I are thinking of renting a 1-bedroom apt near West Lafayette campus. We checked some listing and think $1K/month rent is possible. That translates to $9K for both of us for 9 months during the academic year, although we will probably sign a normal lease for 1 year or more. Can any current/ ex-Purdue student care to advise us on whether this approach will save us money ? If we live off-campus, we plan to cook our own meals and so hope to save money on food too. Any helpful comment is appreciated. We desperately need to save money or 1 of us will have to defer admission and work full-time 1 year. Money is very tight. Please provide comments and suggestions. Thanks

In most college communities, students can save a fair amount of money living off campus. You need to pay attention to what is available in the rental market, and you need to think about where you would be able to get your groceries. Some landlords will require that parents co-sign the lease just in case the students don’t pay the bills.

Don’t forget to consider whether you will need to pay for health insurance. That adds to college expenses. Many collleges require you to prove that you have insurance that provides good coverage at the college location, or else they make you purchase their health insurance plan.

Do they allow freshman to live off campus - some schools don’t.

If you keep to a budget you can definitely save costs. You already know that you can live with your brother so that’s a plus. Crunch the numbers and see where you stand. My daughter lives on campus in an apartment style suite with a kitchen. She saves a lot of money cooking her own meals. She’s a foodie and cooks a lot of amazing stuff too. She splits grocery costs with her roommate. She spends less in a week on food than it would cost for one day of three meals on the food plan if you calculate it out. That’s substantial savings over the entire school year.

I looked because I was curious and I can’t find anything that requires freshmen to live on campus. Many universities do have such restrictions unless the student lives at home within a certain radius. I would inquire with the university before making a firm decision. The further from the university you live the less expensive housing will be. Plan on taking the bus as parking passes will be hard to get. It can be cheaper if you prepare your own meals. Going out a lot can turn that advantage into a liability rather quickly. Also be sure the lease is in fact only 9 months. Often apt. leases are for a year. You can sometimes sublet them (check the contract) but you are liable regardless.

Purdue does not require freshmen to live in university housing. Regarding health insurance, we will check with school admin whether we need to buy from Purdue. Appreciate everyone’s helpful comments so far.

You should be covered under your parents’ insurance until you are 26. Check their policy if you are coming from out of state. Often emergency room or urgent care coverage will be available. Not ideal but the CVS Minute Clinic has met my d’s needs while away. I schedule her doctor and dentist appointments for when she comes home on vacation.

I think you can rent a place for $1000 a month. Talk to mom and dad for advice on meal planning. Best of luck and Boiler-Up!

You can absolutely find 1 bedroom apts for under $1,000 per month. I would say you could find 1 beds in the $500-700 range.

I graduated from Purdue in 2013 and lived off campus the entire time, cooked nearly all my meals and took the bus. It definitely saved money over living in the dorms.

Best luck to you and your brother at Purdue and BOILER UP!!