Can they go back Jan 6?

<p>Son’s initial post-Christmas return date was to have been Jan 7, but Amtrak is not running then (they’re repairing track or sumpin’).</p>

<p>Will the dorms be open Jan 6? Anyone know?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>P.S. To whom it concerns (you know who you are;)): I have not forgotten my PM messages…will respond this weekend. Life has been hectic! Thanks!!</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/calendar.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/calendar.cfm)</p>

<p>Winter Break Residence Hall Re-opening 10:00 a.m. Sunday, January 6, 2013</p>

<p>What are the chances of the semester starting a day later due to the BCS game? I heard they did that 2 years ago when the game was in California.</p>

<p>Thanks, Class2012Mom!! That is perfect. :)</p>

<p>My D is in the MDB and we found out yesterday that they have to report on Thursday the 3rd, leaving for Miami
on Friday the 4th. Wonder if they’ll open the dorms for them? She’s in Riverside East.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They’ve already built the Championship game into the schedule, so the semester will start as scheduled.</p>

<p>LOL, beth’s mom… they need to be careful building the championship game into the schedule–the Crimson Tide have only gone to three of the last four championship games. It is not a sure bet. :-)</p>

<p>Eventually I hope to be as knowledgeable as you guys! Thank you!</p>

<p>LadyDi, you certainly didn’t have your S traveling during the National Championship, did you? That could be cause for revoking his scholarship ;)</p>

<p>I wish they would give them one extra day. It’s impossible for D to get home in one day, so she doesn’t arrive till Wednesday morning. Oh, well, hope her professors understand!!!</p>

<p>Spring 2010 was supposed to start on a Monday, but was pushed back until Wednesday due to the 2009 BCS National Championship being on Monday. Since then, both the spring and fall semesters start on a Wednesday.</p>

<p>I decided not to go to Miami for the BCS National Championship in favor of staying home and watching the game with my family and friends. Unlike the last BCS National Championship where I flew home form Las Vegas for 23 hours to host the game watching party and got on a 12:50am flight back to Tuscaloosa right after the game ended, Delta has temporarily removed availability to BHM that Tuesday, so I might have to return on Wednesday. Unfortunately, UA is not planning any more airport shuttles after 7 PM Tuesday, which means an extra $45 unless earlier flights opens up.</p>

<p>UA in the BCS National Championship means that there will be some unusual (for Alabama) planes flying in. Delta is flying 3 757s into BHM for fans and a 757 into TCL for the team and Allegiant, Sun Country, and Air Tran will be flying into BHM with the band and fans booked on charter flights.</p>

<p>I wish the band was flying charter… MDB members were told yesterday that they will be doing the 16 hour bus ride to Miami on Jan. 4th and back on Jan. 8th. I don’t think they’ll be at their best for the first day of class.</p>

<p>Spring 2010 was supposed to start on a Monday, but was pushed back until Wednesday due to the 2009 BCS National Championship being on Monday. Since then, both the spring and fall semesters start on a Wednesday.</p>

<p>Just to clarify… Spring 2010 was supposed to start on the Wednesday (Jan 6), but the BCS game was Thursday night (Jan 7) and too many Bama people (students and faculty) would be attending, so Bama changed the start date to the following week. </p>

<p>Since then, Bama has built the start date around the BCS championship. </p>

<p>(The day of the week for the BCS game isn’t always on a Monday).</p>

<p>I still don’t know what the MDB members who live in dorms are going to do on the 3rd for a place to stay. Hopefully we’ll hear something next week. </p>

<p>I wish they were flying as well, but if they did fly, they probably wouldn’t take all 425 members. This way everyone gets to go. </p>

<p>It’s really amazing how being in the band has given her some truly unforgettable experiences for her freshman year- marching in Cowboy stadium for her first college game, a great home game atmosphere, SEC championship, and now a national championship game!</p>

<p>My D told me that an RA who is also in MDB said there is a form they must fill out and they will be able to get into their dorm on Jan. 3rd.</p>

<p>Being in the MDB and living in the dorms can be problematic when you have to get back early. This happened with my son last year. Lucky for him the RA was coming back early for some training so his dorm opened early. The dorms will not open without an RA. I know there are some dorms that stay open all of the school year so you can get a temporary spot in one of them during these weird times. Have your kids contact housing to find out about forms to fill out.
We had the same situation during spring break as my son was also in the pep band. He was scrambling around again. That is one of the reasons he is in an apartment this year. I couldn’t take the worry of where he would stay and how he was going to do this being out of state. </p>

<p>I can’t imagine that 16 hour bus ride to Miami. Sure wish they were flying.</p>