Can you go straight to BSN after high school???

<p>Hey everyone!!</p>

<p>I know this may seem like a pretty "dumb" question. But i've been wondering for quite some time if it is possible to enter a BSN program right after High School instead of getting your AS/RN license?</p>

<p>I've poked around in some med forum sites, and all i've read was that people transfered into a BSN after getting there AS/RN but no one i've heard of entering a BSN after highschool, is that possible? I've also read that it was very difficult to get into a BSN program. </p>

<p>How hard is it to get into a BSN program at a local state school (SFSU, incase you're wondering) out of highschool? Would a GPA of at least 3.8+ be good enough? And is there any things i can do to help prepare me for admission? Thanks alot, all help greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Yes. You can take the 4 year BSN route right after high school. It’s what I’m gonna do starting in the Fall. </p>

<p>Does AS/RN mean associates degree in nursing? I don’t know the difficulty level. However, a 3.8 is terrific! Hope I can get that kind of gpa when I’m in school.</p>

<p>See the thread for “Direct Entry Nursing Programs”…that means going directly from high school to a BSN program. </p>

<p>Some BSN programs require you to take certain prereqs during your freshman and sophomore years, then apply to enter the nursing program to finish the courses necessary for the BSN. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted…so you might spend two years at a school and not be able to get your BSN there.</p>

<p>Some people prefer to get their RN as quickly as possible so they can start working and earning money. There are programs that get you an associates degree and RN in 2-3 years, rather than the four years in a typical BSN program. The downside to this pathway is that you will probably want/need to go back for a BSN, and now you have to juggle work / school / (maybe) family – and it will probably take about two years so you haven’t saved any time.</p>

<p>As an RN, having a BSN rather than the associate’s degree may or may not make it easier to land your first job. (I happen to believe that it does, but others don’t agree – I don’t want to start that debate.)</p>

<p>I believe most who frequent this forum would recommend a direct-entry program if possible.</p>

<p>All the nursing programs in California are impacted. Even CCs have wait lists before people can get an Associate’s degree in nursing. The 3 direct programs including SFSU are arguably the hardest California nursing schools to get into.</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses guys!</p>

<p>So just to clarify from mrsref’s response. There’s no gurantee that i can be entered into a BSN program out of highschool, no matter how good my grades would be?</p>

<p>And i’m planning to finish HS with a 4.0+ GPA looking to get into SFSU’s BSN program out of high school, guranteed that i’d be in a BSN. So basically with what you’re saying, that’s not possible since all California nusing programs are so impacted? </p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>Hey BOB!</p>

<p>So I just graduated high school this past year and will be entering UCLA’s BSN program in the fall. As far as I know, SFSU isn’t direct entry (that could have changed though). The direct entry schools in CA are USF, UCI, and UCLA. These three are all very competitive to get into, but I would definitely apply to all three.</p>

<p>At the other schools, you get admitted as “pre-nursing” and have to reapply to the nursing school after taking certain classes at the university. Because the program is impacted, it’s possible for the process to take longer than the estimated 4 years.</p>

<p>If you’re not against it, I would recommend applying to Azusa Pacific University (it’s a Christian school). They admit students as pre-nursing but guarantee certain top applicants a place in the program within the 4 year schedule. </p>

<p>Oh and also, UC Davis has a nursing school in the works, it was supposed to be done by next fall, but who knows. That would be another direct entry option though.</p>

<p>If you have any specific questions about anything regarding the nursing admission process or the likes, feel free to PM me. From my experience, there are only a few CA nursing students on this forum (me and the power of one…haha hi power of one!) so I would be glad to answer any questions that I could. (: Good luck!</p>

<p>Do you necessarily want to go to school in California, or would you be willing to look elsewhere?</p>

<p>@B0BTheBuilder- I’m sorry if I sounded overly pessimistic, but the fact is nursing is really impacted in California. I’m not saying you can’t get into a direct program though. Depending on your UW GPA and SAT score, you might have a fair chance. Just so you know though, Kiley had an AMAZING GPA and SAT scores, so it’s no surprise she got into UCLA’s nursing program. I honestly don’t think the UC Davis program will be up by next fall considering all the budget cuts California schools are experiencing. </p>

<p>@Kiley- I hope you’re having a good summer. :]</p>

<p>I want to be a nurse too and I’ve done a lot of research! Most undergrad programs are for BSN. Once you graduate after 4 years, it allows you to practice anywhere, I believe. Some schools may give you more clinical experience than others, so that’s something you might want to consider. But after high school, it is also possible to get a MN (master’s in nursing) or a degree in advanced practice. That’s up to you when the time comes!</p>

<p>just thought it was a good idea but don’t really know if it possible…
can you take classes to get your BSN and RN at the same time?</p>

<p>Yes. That is the primary purpose of pursuing a BSN degree. Your “RN” classes are taken at the same you’re in college. Graduate with a BSN and then take (and pass) the NCLEX and you’ll be a RN.</p>