Can you help me find Best Colleges for Applied Math and Statistics? Thank you!

College Location: City or town preferred. Rural/isolated college location not a first choice but if there are any great colleges, the student might research on the college and apply.
College Size-Doesn’t matter.
Student Ethnicity: Asian
Grade: A with 4 GPA and great extracurricular profile
SAT:1520

You might start with any on this list except Texas A&M or Penn State.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/applied-mathematics-rankings?_sort=rank-asc

1 Like

This is the graduate schools list, but the undergraduate programs are probably just as strong at these schools.

2 Likes

Cost constraints and state of residency?

I wouldn’t really bother with rankings. It seems like applied math and statistics would be taught similarly no matter where you went to school. The main difference for a lot of people might be what kind of class size they prefer.

My undergrad major was CS, but my minor was math and statistics. I took three undergrad statistics classes, which were introductory statistics, scientific sampling, and experimental analysis and design. I thought they were very valuable when it came to understanding how research was conducted, interpreted and reported. So just from the standpoint of being an informed citizen that’s confronted with all kinds of research studies in the media, they helped me to determine which research studies did and didn’t have credibility. A lot don’t. My point here would be to look at the various course offerings in applied math and statistics at each school, and see which schools offer classes that look especially interesting to you.

1 Like

JHU, CMU, NYU, University of Rochester.

2 Likes

Hi, location doesn’t matter, student will calculate the EFC before applying. Right now, the family is looking to figure out the list of good colleges. Thank you for the support!

Thank you. Appreciate your suggestions

1 Like

I’ll add a wild card into the mix: SUNY Stony Brook

3 Likes

and one that is appreciably easier to get into…just because one has a 4.0 and 1520 is no assurance to the creme de la creme.

1 Like

Yup… gotta have targets and safeties as well

These sites might be helpful to you:

Additionally, this list of 233 schools offer advanced degrees (Master’s and or PhDs) in applied math or statistics, or some variation thereof. I would therefore assume that any of their Bachelor’s programs would be strong as well.

1 Like

You may want to take a look at Brown. The applied math program is consistently very highly ranked across numerous sources and graduates are heavily recruited.

One of the advantages of concentrating in applied math at Brown is the open curriculum. It affords students the flexibility to truly “apply” their math skills by allowing for the integration of an entrepreneurship certificate or other relevant areas of interest.

I have provided links…

https://appliedmath.brown.edu/

If you do a simple google of top applied math colleges I think you will find the same names frequently appear in the top spots; MIT, Brown, NYU, UCB, Harvard, U Chicago, Stanford, Yale and Princeton. Can’t go wrong but tough acceptances.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.