Can you match very different twins who want to stay close to each other?

You are absolutely right to build your kids’ lists from the bottom…up. Find a couple of sure things for admission and affordability for both of them…then go from there.

I think it’s going to be harder to find a music therapy sure thing…

1 Like

I don’t know that there are any true safeties in music therapy. My guess is that if he didn’t get in anywhere for his chosen major, he’d take a gap year, work, practice a lot, and try again.

There are many schools that would be safeties for her, and I am sure she will land somewhere.

1 Like

Agreed that there are no sure things when auditions are involved. However, if the standard is met in terms of musical ability, this young man seems like he would be a compelling candidate given his extensive relevant experience and his demographics - I can only imagine that young men of color must be even more under-represented in the music therapy profession than they are generally in the broader academic setting. (Now I’m curious and looked it up: almost 80% of music therapists are women and only about 7% are Black.) Of course he has to be qualified, but if he is, programs will want him - as they should, because the profession would certainly benefit from more diversity. His experiences with his own learning disabilities could also be an asset if framed correctly, as he’ll be better able to relate to the challenges that his future clients face.

6 Likes

That’s why I also suggested EMU and Michigan State for the sister, too.

1 Like

I think they can both attend the same school in some scenarios and both be appropriately challenged for their strengths. If you look at safeties as not challenging enough because they are safeties and other students have lower test scores, you will have a hard time building the bottom up list.

A local kid attends a high admit rate, primarily commuter, state school…and he just won a Truman Scholarship. He was not only sufficiently challenged, but also supported there.

2 Likes

Pittsburgh schools have already been mentioned, but Seton Hill in Pennsylvania is a 40-45m drive from Pittsburgh and would be another option for music therapy.

U. of Dayton (OH) for both. The city of Dayton has about 135k people, but its metro area is clocking in around 740k. I thought that might be including Cincinnati (55m away), but Cincy has more than 2 million in its metro.

U. of Indianapolis (IN) for your son and Butler (IN) for your daughter. They’re 10.5 miles apart.

In San Antonio there’s U. of the Incarnate Word (TX) for your son and Trinity U (TX) for your daughter. They’re 1.5 miles apart.

Valparaiso (IN) for your son which is an hour’s drive from Chicago. Depending on which area school (DePaul, Loyola Chicago, etc), could effect the timing.

West Chester (PA ) is another possibility in the Philadelphia metro area (for your son or both). It’s 42m to the center of the city, but depending on what college(s) your daughter would be interested in the area, the time could vary.

Florida Gulf Coast for your son (or both) that’s in Fort Meyers, whose metro population is about 750k.

And if western Michigan is being considered sufficiently urban, then you could look at Drury (MO) for your son and Missouri State for your D, both of which are in Springfield, pop. 170k with a metro of about 340k. The schools are about a mile apart.

1 Like

Dayton is a great suggestion and, anecdotally, I know of kids with stats similar to your daughter getting generous merit there.

3 Likes

Also, look for colleges for your son that might have honors colleges for your daughter, or accelerated programs. BS/MD programs are insanely competitive no matter where they are, and there are also 3+1 masters programs.

I agree that there are schools that serve a wide range of kids well, and she’ll be able to find plenty of safety options to choose from. I think there are also schools that serve narrow ranges of kids, where they wouldn’t both fit academically.

1 Like

Why not look for the same school for both? I’d focus on safeties that both can get into, in an urban area, near hospitals/music. She could get the Honors college and get the merit, and he could do his music/degree. If she’s looking at medical school, this would keep undergraduate more affordable and maybe even give her a better chance to stand out among her peers. Remember gpa and MCAT are the main focus for med school, not the name of the undergraduate college.

3 Likes

I think when you figure there are thousands of schools in the US, she deserves to be able to look more broadly than the less than 100 that have his major. It’s possible that there happens to be the perfect match for her in that smaller set, but she should probably look more broadly, especially because she’d probably want to rule out the smaller and more rural schools.

I also think some separation is good. Different schools for high school has turned out to be a very good choice for them.

5 Likes

Still thinking of the greater Philadelphia area, in addition to Temple, the University of Delaware has a jazz program and music therapy.

Delaware does not have music therapy.

To clarify, they don’t have undergraduate music therapy. They have a graduate degree program.

2 Likes

Thanks - without reading glasses, music theory and therapy look similar =/

I thought of another possible combo. Since they are just sophomores and things change he might be interested in a school with a good music program even if it doesn’t have a music therapy program. UNC-Greensboro has a well-regarded music program but the school as a whole is not super selective. Wake Forest is just 30 minutes away if your daughter might be interested in that.

Or if you wanna throw some HBCUs in the mix NC Central has a great jazz program and is in Durham along with Duke.

3 Likes

For that matter, Howard might work for either/both of them. It would be a reach for him in that the acceptance rate is low, but the admitted student stats aren’t stratospheric, and they do have a music therapy BM as well as a jazz studies program. (And for a BM, academic stats may matter less than his strength in music.) Could be worth a try. And Howard is a great premed school as well; she could even gun for the BS/MD program there if her stats are really strong when she’s applying.

5 Likes

I think it is just too early. Circumstances regarding URM boost for your daughter may change depending upon the anticipated supreme court ruling, and both of them might develop new interests. Better to revisit this issue in mid 11th. Meanwhile, definitely a good idea to look at schools whenever you are traveling as a family in the US, starting now. From what you describe, I think it is wonderful that they want to be near each other.

Agreed, it’s early… but this is an intriguing set of parameters and it doesn’t hurt to explore the landscape.

One more thought - WVU is another great destination for music therapy. Daughter would get big merit there, but also, Pitt (which was already mentioned and really seems to fit her parameters) is less than a 90 minute drive from Morgantown.

1 Like

What is “instrument”?