Can you transfer in as a sophomore?

<p>I was recently denied freshman admission (I was extremely borderline), and planned to attend another school.
Now I'm having 2nd thoughts, and am considering attending UW-Stout and then transferring into Madison ASAP.
What's the EARLIEST you can possibly transfer?</p>

<p>Justaniceguy.....you got accepted to Wake Forest and UNC chapel hill..... You would be dumb to go anywhere else. Why would u do that? Wake forest is an amazing school and chapel hill is arguably better than UW. go to wake like u said u were going to do, then if u still wanna go to UW transfer from Wake.</p>

<p>They don't have my major.</p>

<p>Madison accepts a lot of transfers from other UW 4 year campuses and from the UW-Colleges (2 year campuses which have a transfer agreement with the UW 4 year campuses -see University</a> of Wisconsin Colleges ).</p>

<p>UW Stout is the state's polytechnic university and they are a "laptop campus," providing a laptop computer for every student. It is possible to transfer from Stout to Madison, it is a very different atmosphere between the campuses. If one was ranking the UW System campuses - Madison and Milwaukee are top tier (both are doctoral institutions), then Stevens Point and Eau Claire are part of the 2nd tier.</p>

<p>what was ur intended major? and no other school u got accepte to had your major? and why would you even apply to schools that didnt ahve your major :?, that makes no sense to me.....</p>

<p>Maybe I was UNDECIDED?
I was interested in journalism for a while, but not really anymore.
I am interested in UW's Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences program</p>

<p>JustAniceGuy, you have a very legit reason to attend/transfer to UW. Showing the adcom that you can handle the academic rigor is the key for a successful transfer. </p>

<p>My recommended route is UNC->UW because:
1. UW considered UNC as "equal peer". Hence a B+ or better GPA in UNC is usually sufficient for a successful transfer.
2. UNC best prepares you for the academic rigor in UW. </p>

<p>The downside for UNC and WF is obviously higher 1st year expense. If finance is a major concern, try UW-Milwaukee. If you want to stay closer to home (to really save $$), then go with Eau Claire over Stout. Regardless the UW campus you choose, you need to be near the top of your freshman class to be competitive for transfer into Madison. </p>

<p>BTW, your odd is significantly increased if you seek to transfer after freshman year (i.e. two semesters of solid college works).</p>

<p>Definitely can transfer. If finances are no problem go with the academically best school possible. Likewise instate go with the school with the best students- my checking of stats seems to show Eau Claire and LaCrosse as the strongest of the other state schools.</p>

<p>BUT... you CAN do it as a sophomore (meaning I would take my entire sophomore year at Madison) and not a junior?
I thought i might have read somewhere that you have to wait to be a junior?
But apparently not?</p>

<p>You would complete your entire Freshman year at one school then transfer to UW Madison to complete your Sophomore year. You need at least 24 credits to transfer.</p>

<p>I thought all you really need to transfer to Madison from another UW system university is a 2.5 and that's it?!?</p>

<p>viperm90, I believe you was referring to the UW Colleges Guaranteed Transfer Program (see <a href="http://www.uwc.edu/transfer/guarantee/)%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.uwc.edu/transfer/guarantee/)&lt;/a>. In that program, one spends the first two years in one of the 13 two-year colleges to fulfill the transfer requirement (2.6+ GPA), and then transfers to UW-Madison or any other UW universities for the final 2 years.</p>

<p>There is also a "Connections Program" that is offered to postponed students who don't get in (UW-Madison</a> Connections Program)</p>

<p>As far as I know, a transfer application from other four-year UW campuses e.g. Milwaukee is usually considered just like a "regular transfer".</p>

<p>UW-Milwaukee is definitely not considered in the top tier schools. UW-La Crosse, Eau Claire, Stevens Point are the hardest state schools to get admitted to after Madison...in that order.</p>

<p>Second the above. I was trying to be kind regarding some of the other state schools, BadgerDad is correct. You want the best peer group possible, the middle test score ranges vary a lot for the state schools.</p>