Can you withdraw from UCBerkeley and get accepted to UCRiverside with over 90 units?

My son has to withdraw from UCB in his 3rd year. He is struggling with a 2.388. He has 90.7 semester units.
Berkeley said he could go take new major LDs at CC and come back, or go take 4 classes at another university (because that’s the max they’ll accept as transferable). Do that to up his GPA, then come back with the same major.

But I want him to just FINISH! Just get a degree from a good university!

I’m afraid maybe UCB is just too difficult a school for him. Or Applied Mathematics at Berkeley is just too difficult for him! (He’s in DSP) But because of his GPA he didn’t get into HASS or Econ with a 3.0 requirement.
What if he goes back and can’t handle it again??? Then he’s been Dismissed instead of With-drawled, that’s supposed to be WAY worse!!

Can he even get into UCR right now?? Will they even accept him? Can he get into any college as a transferring junior/senior??

Is it really possible to get into one of the most prestigious schools in the country and if you can’t handle the rigor then you can’t transfer anywhere and you can’t get a degree?? Is they any option for him??? I’m so scared!!

Please help me, I didn’t go to college, I don’t know how this works. According to the things I read online, it looks like he’s at the end of a rope…

Spend more money at another school, only to go back to UCB and if he cant handle it…he gets dismissed! And after 4 years of college and tons of debt he has NO DEGREE and NO WAY of getting a degree??? Really??

AM I MISSING SOMETHING???

Going to CC might help him get his confidence back. Many top high school students feel defeated by the grade competition at Berkeley. If he gets A’s at CC he can decide then whether he wants to return to Berkeley or apply as a transfer student to UC Riverside or other college. I don’t think he would be eligible for the guaranteed admission because you have to have a certain number of units at the CC to get that. You could call UC Riverside Admissions and see what they think about the chances of getting accepted as a transfer with a poor Berkeley record but a good comeback as a CC student.

Thank you. I did just email UCR transfer admissions to ask for advice. We’ll see what they say.

The question with your advice is his major. If he goes to a CC then he has to take LD’s for a new major and he wants to work in Business. The only choice at Berkeley that anything to do with business that isn’t in HAAS is Econ and Math. Econ is a much easier rigor than AP Math but he had a 2.9 at the time and Econ has a 3.0 requirement because it is impacted. Math does not. The Math Adviser told him that Math is the second hardest rigor at UCB, next to Engineering.

So I don’t know how to advice him??? I’m so scared!

I couldn’t find the term “LD” but I think I understand. If he had started out in CC, he could have taken the required 5 courses for transferring into Economics (Intro to Econ, Calculus 1A and 1B, Statistics, and either Micro or Macroeconomics). But I think you are saying he already took all of those classes at Berkeley and that his average in those 5 classes was 2.9, so there is no way now to increase his average in them by taking one or more of them at CC. Do I understand this right so far? If so, I just had an idea. Since there is a choice among the requirements, if he took one of the OTHER statistics classes and/or one of the OTHER economics classes that are in the selection for the 5 required courses, could those grades be substituted or averaged in with the ones he took already at Berkeley in order to get the average up above 3.0?

https://www.econ.berkeley.edu/undergrad/prospective/freshmen

@Kids2smart4Mom I’m sorry I didn’t answer your main question about having too many units to be able to transfer. I did find this post which seems to answer it, but it is from 2011, so I don’t know if it still applies. Look at post #14

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/uc-transfers/1155938-how-many-units-is-too-many-for-transferring-p1.html

It says that in 20ll UCR would accept kids with excess credits if they determined that they could finish graduation requirements with a total of 216 quarter units or less. I think you are allowed to subtract any units gained from high school AP classes from this total.

(Students who have only CCC credits don’t have to worry about this problem, just those who have some 4-year college credits.)