Canadian Universities

I have been looking into some Canadian universities in Quebec and Ontario because I like the idea of being in Canada and universities tend to be cheaper than in the US. Does anyone know the differences between American and Canadian Universities? I’ve read that undergraduate degrees take 3 or 4 years to complete. Does anyone know what is likely? Also, what is the difference in student life in Canada vs in the US?

Thank you

1 Like

For an American, virtually all undergraduate degrees in Canada take 4 years. That can be shortened by applying AP credits as in the US.

Virtually all Canadian universities are public, except for a handful of private Christian schools. At most Canadian universities on campus housing is only provided for first year students. Students then move off campus.

It is not the “traditional college experience” that many Americans have come to expect.

Montreal and Toronto are incredible cities for a student to live in for 4 years.

What universities are you considering?

2 Likes

Right now I’m looking at York University, University of Ottawa, McGill University, and Concordia University.

Do you know if Canadian Universities would take college credits from American regionally accredited colleges (I have done dual enrollment classes)? Also, what is different about students’ experiences in Canada? Do you know how involved students are with activities like clubs compared to the US?

Thanks so much

Paging @DadTwoGirls to join the conversation.

1 Like

Generally speaking, Canadian schools are less residential; a much higher percentage of students are commuters. Sports are less of a big deal.

In Ontario, Queens and Western would be more like US colleges than would be U of Toronto, U of Ottawa, Carleton, McMaster, York, Wilfred Laurier, or Waterloo, for example.

I think grading is generally tougher at Canadian schools.

Not sure about college credits from American regionally accredited colleges - I think you would need to talk to each university individually to see what they will accept.

Atlantic Canadian schools used to grant bachelors degrees in three years. I am not sure if that is still the case.

I note when we commented on the size of some of the prominent Canadian colleges, a Canadian suggested to me they tended to have more generous entry policies with a plan to weed some people out. A casual look at graduation rates suggested that was plausible. Like, I think Toronto and McGill had graduation rates in the 80-85% range, which would be pretty low by the standards of most top US colleges.

Does anyone know about how many hours Canadian students generally study per week?

With respect to your college search in general, you may want to look into a few undergraduate-oriented Canadian schools, such as Mount Allison and Acadia.

1 Like

What is your intended major?

I either want to do international business or marketing with an Asian studies minor.

1 Like

McGill Desautels has a strong international focus, in all majors. It is also their most selective faculty.

My son is a McGill alumnus. He is an American. He found the freedom that McGill, and all Canadian universities, offer just what he was looking for. With that independence comes the responsibility to be self-directed and motivated.

Social life is what you make it. Students join clubs, intramurals etc. There is limited Greek life if that is your thing. Athletics exist but are not that popular, not even hockey.

4 Likes

Do you know how hard it was for your kid to be able to meet people? I love the idea of Canadian universities compared with American ones, but I worry that I might feel isolated if I attend one.

Thanks so much for all the answers

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.