"Cane For A Day"..anyone doing this?

<p>S got an invite(by letter) to take part in a student run program between the weeks of March 26and April2.It matches students up with a current student who shares their interests/major,to attend classes,meet students and professors in your major,have lunch on campus and attend extracurricular actitivites.
Its not a dorm stay program. Letter says the invitation is selective. Has anyone else gotten this and are they considering it? We thought we might be able to match it up with the accepted student day.</p>

<p>My D got the letter. She is not doing it since she has decided not to attend U of M.</p>

<p>I didn't get the letter, I wish I knew of visit programs like this, but stay in a dorm. The only program i've found is the general visit program, and I got an invite to an open house, but nothing reall like matching up with a student, staying in dorms, going to classes, etc. I found a cheap airfare, but UM wouldn't pay for it. </p>

<p>seiclan - Turning down the full ride? I'm assuming your S/D has a full ride at another school. LOL, send me that money! I NEED IT!</p>

<p>A2Wolves - no full or even partial ride for my D. She just decided that she isn't interested in going to college so close to home.</p>

<p>My Son also got the letter about "Cane for a Day". Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we are on a cruise during the first week of the 2 week period. We may try to go down for the very end of that period and do either the Friday or Saturday the 8th if that's not too late. Depends on my work travel schedule. If not that week, we may go down at the end of the following week just to visit for a weekend.</p>

<p>Did anyone RD get that letter? Because wouldn't a 'selective' letter sent out before acceptance letters be a good sign?</p>

<p>Man, I was going to be a host for this. All you parent's should be happy I'm not though, I would have shown your son all the things about UM you wouldn't want him to know. Although, one of the rules was no alcohol :-( It was indeed a selective letter. I believe it was sent out to the top students in order to convince them that UM was the place for them. I decided I wasn't going to be a host though because I thought it was silly that they didn't let the student stay in the dorm. Not really getting the entire "cane" experience then, in my opinion.</p>

<p>I did a similar program at Columbia Univ. so I know how sleeping somewhere and seeing the late-nightlife is an essential part of visiting/getting to know a school</p>

<p>it's selective? i got one.. it says "special invitation" but i thought it was out to everyone anyway.. too bad i can't make it cause 2nd april is my birthday!! and i'm outside usa.. oh well</p>

<p>mag man, you should have been my host, taken me to the clubs and shown me the ladies, haha</p>