CAP21 program questions

Yesterday I found out I got into the CAP21/Molloy BFA MT program, and I plan on going to their admitted students day, as well as attending some classes. I do have some questions about the program though, and I had trouble finding answers in the nearly 800 posts on the last thread.
-When are students able to start auditioning for the Madison theater shows?
-Does the school let you audition for outside shows at any point?
-What are the dorms like?
-Is it possible/beneficial to room with someone who is just a Molloy student, not with CAP21?

@spidertess students are able to start auditioning for the Madison their sophomore year. As is true for many programs, they want the focus to be on training not performing in their Freshman year. CAP21 is ok with auditioning for outside shows starting sophomore year as well. The plus about the Madison Theater vs outside is they work with their schedule. Because the performance projects will have evening rehearsals, it will be challenging to find a show that will fit into their schedule. As for the dorms, I would say they are pretty average. At the beginning of this year had some issues with the food service and they worked hard to make it right and brought in a new company that is doing much better. You can room with a not CAP21 if you request it, otherwise they will likely pair you with a CAP21 roommate. It really depends on your personal preferences. Are you someone that likes to hang out with your theater friends 24/7 or do you want to get to know others outside the program. When you say you planning to attend some classes, I assume that you mean at the CAP21 studios in Manhattan, because those are the ones you will want to see vs anything on the Molloy campus. Good luck on your decision.

I’ll add that my freshman son rooms with 2 CAP kids. He has said they are the only ones up on their floor early on MW when they go to the studios. He thinks it would be a challenge to room with someone not in the program as their schedules would likely be quite different. He appreciates not having to worry about waking the roomies when he gets up on those days.

@spidertess - My D actually rooms with a nursing major, and it has worked out just fine. I think like @waitingforlife said, it really depends on your preference! When we attended the new student orientation last June, Henry Fonte, the program director, said that he recommended NOT rooming with a fellow Capkid - just to diversify your exposure and circle. But many did end up rooming with fellow Capkids and I think it has worked out okay for most of them… So like I said, it’s really your choice. :slight_smile:

Hi @spidertess , congrats! My D is a sophomore. As others have said, students can’t perform at the Madison (or anywhere) until after their freshman year, but technically there is an audition at the end of spring semester just for the first performance of the fall. Then the audition for the remainder of the season is at the beginning of the fall semester.

The dorms are typical but on the newer side. One is just a few years old, and the other is an older building converted from a convent to a dorm, renovated maybe two or three years ago. D stayed in both over two years. Both buildings are right by each other, across a lawn. They are building a third dorm right there too. There is a workout facility in one of the existing dorms, and there is one cafeteria in a building also close by (as in, across a driveway). There is a good amount of storage for each person: beds are tall so you can get the two dressers under them, and there is an armoire with two more drawers and a desk and chair. My D also brought one of those “raskog” rolling carts from ikea. She’s in a double and has space for everything.

D roomed in a triple with two non-cap kids, and it was fine and they were nice and all, but she hardly ever saw them due to her schedule. So she decided to room with other cap kids for sophomore year in a suite on campus. It’s a double and three singles, and at the center, a large shared living/dining/sink area, plus a powder room with sink and mirror and a separate shower room. There is a risk of fatigue with seeing the same people day and night (especially if they are in the same studio classes), but they spend all their time together anyhow, and in my opinion, it may be better to sort it out in the dorms before they all have to cram together into a Brooklyn apartment in a year or two.