Capstone Scholars Day 2013....Roll Call! :)

<p>Who is attending this year’s Capstone Scholars Day? It will be held on Saturday Jan 19th.</p>

<p>If you’re attending, please let us know the following:</p>

<p>Male or Female</p>

<p>Intended Major</p>

<p>Arrival Date (Thurs, Friday, or Saturday)</p>

<p>If arriving early, will you be touring Bama on Friday?</p>

<p>Please add anything else you’d like to share.</p>

<p>Responding for my daughter:</p>

<p>Female</p>

<p>Intended Major - Exercise Science/Kinesiology (Pre-med track)</p>

<p>Will be arriving early Friday evening.</p>

<p>Would have come earlier, but exams will be the following week at her school. As it is she will be missing a 1/2 day on Friday just to get the last non-stop from O’Hare to Birmingham. So we won’t be taking the tour, but she and I took one when we did an honors visit in April. </p>

<p>DD is so looking forward to Capstone Day. She has made friends with potential roommates via FB, phone and Twitter - they sound just like her. They will meet for dinner - hopefully they will hit it off in person too. We will also be coming back for Greek Preview weekend next month. A good weekend visit should seal the deal. </p>

<p>My DD and I will be attending the festivities. DW is also coming to Tuscaloosa, but since only one parent can attend, she will be touring the campus and driving around Tuscaloosa looking for stores, restaurants etc.</p>

<p>Mom2college kids… thanks for creating a roll call for Capstone Scholars Day. </p>

<p>My DS and I will be attending the event on January 19th. Making a quick trip to Tuscaloosa is relatively easy as we are only four hours driving distance to UA from where we live in the Atlanta area (North Fulton County).</p>

<p>Intended Major: Computer Science</p>

<p>We will arrive Friday late afternoon and will do our own tour by walking around campus and “The Strip”. Or have a bite to eat at Baumhower’s which is next to the Hampton Inn where we are staying.</p>

<p>This will be our 3rd visit to UA. DS is definitely going to attend - enrollment and housing deposits have been paid months ago. </p>

<p>Like “ChicagoBear”, my DS has made friends on FB as well and through that has two roommates already lined up – one from Iowa and one from the Boston area (?). These two guys will complete the set of four for a suite at Ridgecrest as a good HS friend of my DS is also going to attend UA in the fall of 2013. (Although none of the 3 are able to make it down for this event).</p>

<p>We are looking forward to meeting some of the CC UA forum members in a couple of weeks.</p>

<p>Female</p>

<p>Intended Major: Computer Science</p>

<p>Will be arriving Friday evening</p>

<p>We did a tour when we visited last semester, so I think we’ll be doing a self tour of the campus when we arrive. This time around, I’m hoping to get a taste of the T-Town area outside of campus now that I’m officially going.<br>
Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Madd…</p>

<p>visit this thread</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1443859-best-tuscaloosa.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1443859-best-tuscaloosa.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’m a female and plan on majoring in business. I’m so excited to visit UA for the first time next weekend!</p>

<p>I have to reschedule one of my finals next week, since I’m flying to Alabama on Thursday night. I hope to tour campus Friday. On Alabama’s website, there aren’t any spots available in official scheduled tours. Is there any way I can still get a full tour of campus?</p>

<p>This will probably be my only visit until I commit to what college I’m going to. I really want to go to the panhellenic preview weekend in February, but it will cost a lot for travel and hotels since I live near Chicago. If I can’t get an official tour, are there any suggestions of things I need to see for sure before I leave on Saturday evening? :)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>You need to contact Allison and Susan from the Honors College. Tell them that you weren’t able to schedule a campus tour since they are all booked (nothing can be done about that). They can help with your visit.</p>

<p>The campus tour uses a bus for half of the tour so there are limited seats. Once the seats are all booked, that’s it. </p>

<p>You need to tell Susan and Allison your major, etc, and they’ll arrange your day.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty related to major, honors college faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Thank you so much! I wasn’t sure who to contact, so that’s really helpful! I’ll send her an email today. :)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Send the email to BOTH of them. :)</p>

<p>I will submit for my son, we are coming from FL.
Major: Civil Engineering
We will arrive around noon on Friday and plan to walk the campus and “self tour”.<br>
We’re staying at the Hampton Inn close to campus.
We’ve been to campus for the Honors visit and Engineering tour last fall. We have tickets to the Bama vs. Texas A&M basketball game Sat eve.
He’s looking forward to connecting with other potential UA freshmen and we’re both excited to be on campus with the National Championship win so fresh!<br>
I didn’t see Taco Casa on the “Best of Tuscaloosa” list, but he’s already looking forward to that, and Dreamland in Northport, of course! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Responding for son</p>

<p>Male - Attending with his Dad</p>

<p>Intended Major - Aero Engineering</p>

<p>Arrival Date - Thursday evening</p>

<p>If arriving early, will you be touring Bama on Friday? He will be touring Engineering facilities and sitting in on a couple classes.</p>

<p>Please add anything else you’d like to share.
Hotel stay is on points and was not their top choice.
Dreamland and Full Moon is on their agenda.
Son is still undecided on final college choice, but I’ve been encouraging him to make contacts while there for potential roommates. I already paid a housing deposit.</p>

<p>Replying for my nephew:</p>

<p>Intended major: Engineering</p>

<p>Arriving late Thursday night. Touring on Friday.</p>

<p>My son and I are tagging along to see if we like it. We were super impressed with the event they held in San Diego. Hopefully Bama will not be changing the scholarship program before he graduates in 2014!!</p>

<p>We just noticed that there is a basketball game on Saturday night. Would it be possible to get tickets if we decided to go at the last minute? What would be the signature experience for California kids who have never visited the South? My sister and I are anxious to seal the deal! </p>

<p>Thanks in advance and thanks to M2CK and the other regulars in this forum for all of their great posts. We’ve learned a lot!</p>

<p>As for the basketball game, it is worth the experience to go. You will experience some of the campus spirit and the game is vs. Tennessee and on ESPN.<br>
You and your nephew will be able to see the Crimson Cabaret aka UA Dance Team and Pep Band.
You get to experience the student body’s excitement for any sport at UA…Roll Tide
BTW, an hour before the game is sufficient to get tickets but check on Friday.</p>

<p>The game on Saturday Jan 19 is Bama v. Texas A & M.</p>

<p>I just read in the Tuscaloosa news that there is going to be a parade on Jan 19 to celebrate the national championship team. So if you are planning on driving in that day you might want to plan on extra travel time and delays. The paper reported that the exact location & times have not been finalized yet.</p>

<p>Thank you–we will be looking for the start time of the parade. It would be great if the Scholars Day schedule would allow us time to see the parade. How exciting!</p>

<p>^^^@Spacecoastmom, the game vs. Texas A&M on Sat, Jan 19th is 5pm central time…It’s on Fox Sports Network instead of ESPN…Have a great visit…Roll Tide</p>

<p>I think last year, CSDay was the same day as some kind of BCS celebration that occurred in the stadium and I think the kids went to it.</p>

<p>Others can correct my memory. I wasn’t there, so I’m grabbing at straws. lol</p>

<p>Unfortunately my son will not be able to attend due to a prior obligation but I thought I read somewhere there was another later date that they could also attend…however, I have not seen anything about a later date. Anybody know about a later scholars day?</p>

<p>Male or Female: Female</p>

<p>Intended Major: Chemistry, pre med</p>

<p>Arrival Date (Thurs, Friday, or Saturday): Not attending. :(</p>

<p>If arriving early, will you be touring Bama on Friday? Took a tour in October.</p>

<p>Please add anything else you’d like to share. </p>

<p>Can not attend that weekend. Younger D has a cheer competition and dad can’t take her as he will be in Florida for a car auction. Too many things going on this time of year :frowning: Gotta pick and choose.</p>